6.5 Creedmoor for varmints

I try to use the bullet least likely to ricochet when shooting varmints. There is always something in the distance that you don't want to hit.

You can use a .375 H&H on varmints, I have use everything from 22lr to .44 mag revolver for Prarie dogs. The 6MM's are a great ma bell pd rifle. 22-250 gets spectacular flips ,but my favorite is the plain Jane .223. It is easy on powder,bullets are easy to find and SR primers are easier to find in these times. Also something I'm surprised nobody mentioned is the fact that you can get more shooting , less barrel cool down time.

Called this coyote in. Whacked it with a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM and factory Hornady 143gr Precision Hunter ammo, which shoots incredibly well. It just happened to be what I had in the truck at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 67
Of course there are always those that that will have an opinion about a cartridge that is better suited for certain things. However, if this is a rifle that you already have and want to get ore trigger time on it, why not load it for varmints. And, if you already have loads built and doped out, why not practice on small targets with whatever you have loaded. What is the difference between sending these (140 grain) bullets into the a backstop mound of dirt at the range, or obliterating a rock chuck, or P-Dog?

If you are talking about acquiring a rifle or building a rifle for this purpose, apply all of the 'this versus that' logic and feedback provide above. It is all true, and accurate, in the right context.

Throw a 85 Grain HH in it and go to work. Zero at 250 for extended point blank range. Have fun while you're at it.

I run those in my 65 Grendel at 2980 FPS. Devastating. Probably can run them up around 3300-3400 in the 65CM with the right powder combo.

View attachment 472105
My 6.5 CM is a one hole shooting spitfire with the 85 HH's at 3500 fps with both Varget and 6.5 StaBall.
Pricey for Pdogs, but I'd definitely take it yote hunting.