7mm-08 for Varmints ???

I think it will work well, where I hunt there are more coyotes than ground hogs and it would be perfect for them. Dave

Speer makes a 110 tnt varmit bullet bc.338 , yeah love the 708

My 7-08 shoots dime size groups, on a good day, at 100 yards w/Speer 110g....quarter size on regular days. I just got it around Christmas time, so woodchucks are safe for now. TC Compass rifle...ugliest rifle made (so says my gunsmith), but the varmints won't care.

Shotshaper -

Howdy !

Not a 7mm, but.....

The .250-3000 was/is a proven dual-role' deer/varmint cartridge.

Sierra 75HP's made for a death ray on groundhogs, shot from a M-77 22" Sporter. The same rifle but w/ the longer 24" barrel Ruger also offered; would have been even better
( IMHO ). Latter -70's Ruger sales ads listed the .250-3000 under hunting rifle calibers they offered, and not under their varmint rifle calibre..... but again.... it was famous for doing both well.

With regards,
357Mag
That 75 Sierra HP is an amazing bullet. I shot them out of a 25-06AI when I lived in Utah doing predator work for 4 ranches. They are hell on coyotes!

For coyotes, the joy would be in a 110g tnt or a 120g V max. You could shoot a 120g Nosler bt or 120g Barnes TTSX, swap out for a 120g V max. Of course seating depth adjustments would be in order.

the 120g Nosler is tough, like others have said, would shoot a more fragile bullet.

Sierra makes a 100g HP that would be accurate at warp speed!

Mine likes 42.5gr pf 4064 with 120gr Ballistic Tips, sub half MOA groups at 100 yds, muzzle velocity just over 3,000 fps, 24" barrel though. It's my deer, javelina and coyote rifle, and low recoil too.

Anyone got a pet load for 120 gr bullet for a 7-08 ?
Sturner, I know this is a fairly old post, but I've been working with cfe223, and of course, Varget. My cfe223 load is below max, I'm at 47.5, fed 210 standard, Lapua brass . Bullet is 120 nosler bt.
Also, I've been playing with Sierra 100 grain open tip hp. Dude, these things shoot. Shot my first batch of them yesterday. Virgin brass, very accurate, and smoking fast. Tried to blow up a ground hogs yesterday, he was playing peek a boo. Didn't get him. I was going to use the ones loaded with Varget. They were the most accurate, and consistent. Take care, enjoy.
Ps, I did manage to get a fox, with the 120bt. Poof!

That is one of the reasons I do a lot of hunting with my 7/08. It works for everything
that I normally encounter in Texas deer, hogs, turkey, coyotes, bob cats, fox, and if I have a pesky squirrel it will solve the problem. Distance is not a problem for any of these animals out to around 500 yards.

The 120 grain Ballistic tip has a thicker jacket than the 140s and with the extra velocity it can use it, on small game and varmints it doesn't expand as much and if you want the hides it doesn't damage them as much with a well placed shot.

It is a true drt cartridge for deer and hogs.

J E CUSTOM

120g V max on varmints is what you want. 120g Nosler ballistic tip is very good on deer and hogs, TOUGHT jacket!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts