Mag-Na-Port?

coop2564

You guys with rifle Mag-na-porting tell me the good and bad? Is it as loud as a normal brake? The ports (slits) are angled forward and only on top and sides to keep muzzle down. I've never had a ported rifle, but shooting next to one at range I had to quit shooting until he was done...so loud and so much muzzle blast I couldn't stand it sitting next to him. But it had a full muzzle brake.

I bought a Sako AV 7RM and it has been Mag-na-ported but I have not shot it yet, getting it bedded to a B&C stock right now. Its a 1984 model in perfect condition. Guy bought it went on one elk hunt shot a box of shells and hadn't shot it again since 85.

coop2564, Years ago, I sent a Remington 700, 300WM off & had it Mag Na Ported. I can't honestly say how much louder it is now, than before, as I always try to use some sort of hearing protection when shooting it. What I did notice, is that it does keep the muzzle from rising as much as without it. But, I feel it doesn't really reduce felt recoil nearly as much as a brake! Mag Na Porting does help, just not as effective as a brake, but, not nearly as obnoxious as a break. Idaho-5R

coop2564, Years ago, I sent a Remington 700, 300WM off & had it Mag Na Ported. I can't honestly say how much louder it is now, than before, as I always try to use some sort of hearing protection when shooting it. What I did notice, is that it does keep the muzzle from rising as much as without it. But, I feel it doesn't really reduce felt recoil nearly as much as a brake! Mag Na Porting does help, just not as effective as a brake, but, not nearly as obnoxious as a break. Idaho-5R

+1

Mag-na-porting is the least effective type of brake. (Less than 20% reduction in recoil) nothing wrong with the design except the port size and the lack of baffles. if they were larger, it would weaken the barrel. with existing port size It cant remove enough of the gas to be effective.

The bigger the bore, the less effective it is. I have a pistol in 444 marlin that I had mag-na-ported
and my brother built one also. his did not have the ported barrel. Shooting the same ammo in the exact same pistol we cannot tell any difference in recoil.

I am sure that with smaller cartridges they should work better, but I will never spend the time and money to have another done.

The one thing I do like is the way they look.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Yep as stated my father had his 300 win mag ported and not much different in the sound department. Did help some with recoil but not as much as a brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.