m700 SPS V .243

rsbenden

I recently got a sps v .243 w/a Nikon Monarch 4x16SF and it would shoot 1.75" groups on a good day after expirimenting with handloads I didnt see marked improvement.
Obviously one of the issues was the plastic stock.....so I replaced it with an H&S serendo take off I bought on ebay. after a bit of massaging w/a dremmel tool to make room for the trigger it fits like a glove.
So today itchin to get to the range to shoot this gun I load up a tweener from my notes with a different OAL. I used 43.5gr of 4895 200CCI primer and a 55gr hornady varmageddon at 2.630 OAL.....bingo! I believe the stock made a tremendous difference. It weighs a ton and Im lovin it. this isnt my first rodeo fellas...lol. spent many a night pullin the handle on the rockcrusher seeking the holy grail load that will give me a beehole group.
it shot 4 of the 5 from this load at.75 with the 5th making it 1" @ 100 yds. the 5th was me thinkin `just 1 more n I will be takin pics! My question is this~
should I expect more from this entry level long range rifle? the obvious next move is to replace the xmark *** thats on it or am I already near the limits of this rifles ability.

what did you do different?? i shoot 37.5 I4064 and an 85 sierra bthp . never got over an inch in any remington i loaded for . also 52.5 of h414 and 55 nosler very good. what are you shooting long range at? antelope?

Im hunting woodchucks in Pa.I dropped the load by.5 to 43 gr/4895/ 200CCI/55gr varmageddon n bumped the OAL to 2.640. no wind, also I switched to targets with the crosshair lines on em.This seemed to help alot with holding exactly the same spot within the center of the target. Im a member of a gunclub n shoot alot and have both a 22-250 TC Venture w/a 6x18 nikon target and this rifle for varmint/predator.

Congrats on getting your 243 sorted out ,it's a great round for sure, I envy all that Great groundhog shooting you have , here their not hunt able ,wish they were ,anyway enjoy your shooting ,regards jjmp

thanks jjmp,
I shot 3 chucks tonight with it at 175,250,362 bring my YTD to 49. That SPS V's a tackhammer now. I just ordered a timney 510 to finish it right. Ive been chuck hunting every summer as long as I can remember but as a younger man couldnt afford a varmint gun n stalked 99% of em to 75 yrd or less n whacked em w/a .22. I live in Pa.wine country and hunt vinyards when I get bored shooting em longrange. I ride an ATV w/a .17hmr n look down the rows as I ride.

Your very Welcome,and that's great shooting thks for the come back, you know you asked earlier if you can expect. More from your new rifle and the answer is yes but I think you know that from shooting her,oh and a BIG Welcome to the Forum you being a new member and all. I think your at the tip of the iceberg just learning what magic you and that rifle can create,yes good loads take time that's a given , there's so many combos to try it's always a Challenge ,yes it's quite the jump from a 22 rf , that's part of the learning curve, don't forget try them 65s 70s 75s 80s 85s 87s 90s 95s & 100s . Great talking to ya, enjoy that wine country keep them varmints in check ,enjoy the forum ,and enjoy your 243 she's a great one for sure ,jjmp gun)gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.