Rem. 700 SPS-Varmint vs. Savage 12FV in .243

on the website it says" full aluminium bedding block", does this mean that the barrel forward of the action is not free floating? can someone explain it better please.
secondly how do the loads you have perform out to the 1000yard mark? any numbers?

QUICK CARL

WHEN YOU SAY STOCK FREE FLOATED DOES THIS MEAN YOU DONE IT?
OR THE WAY THE STOCK CAME FACTORY?

<font color="blue">My best friend free-floated the stock for me.

I'm not totally in love with the stock, even after free-floating. It's plastic, after all, and when you fire the rifle off a Caldwell Front Rest the rifle actually 'twangs' -- vibrates such that you can feel it after the shot -- because the plastic stock is just too flexible so the plastic forearm acts like a leaf-spring since it is not in contact with the barrel anywhere along it's length. I am looking at soon replacing the stock with an HS Precision stock.

But for now it sure shoots -- and for an inexpensive factory rifle I don't see how anyone could complain.</font>

Dang that is some good shooting for a factory rifle for sure, 5 shot groups at that!!! Its nice to have a rifle come from the factory and shoot good groups. Thats just proof you dont need to spend $2K to get a good shooting rifle. Although some still doubt it. All my rifles are factory sporters and will shoot .5" 3 shot groups easily with there preferred loads.

I'm looking at getting a 243 for coyotes. Am looking at the heavy barreled SPS. Would like to shoot the 87g vmax. I already have a 25-06, and my mom has a ruger mk2 s/s in .243 I could use, but I dont. I dont really care for that rifle much...

Well I have the same 243 shot ok with the factory stock,
my brother-in-law wanted to put his stock on it and try WOW!!!
[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/GO-FASTER/2431.jpg[/img]
2432.jpg

2433.jpg

i read that some of the remington 700rifles have rifles which are'pressure bedded' and removing the buildup from the stock to free float the barrel might not always help.
so which remington 700's are factory free floated with a pillar bedded action, or is there no such thing? thank you

A Rem 700 SPS varmint was tested on Sniper Central, then a better stock was used. It shrank the group size considerably.

<font color="blue">I just received and installed my new HS Precision stock on my Rem 700 SPS Varmint... What a nice stock I must admit -- really makes the rifle!

I'm going to try to sneak off to the range tomorrow AM and will post a range report if/when I do.</font>

i just picked up an sps varmint in .204. the stock is already off and i'm getting a hs precision stock soon. haven fired a round down range yet, but as soon as the new stock shows it should be go time on some pd's. i do like the new x mark trigger.

<font color="blue">Today's results:</font>

050407A.jpg
050407B.jpg

050407C.jpg

<font color="blue">I can't wait to whack a few coyotes and mass-slaughter some prairie dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font>

I'm considering both the Rem. 700 SPS-Varmint and the Savage 12FV (almost identical to the 700 except the barrel is fluted), both in .243 for a long-range rifle.
I plan to probably replace either stock with something else (yet to be determined). The price, including Rem's. current rebate, is within $10 of one another.

From hearsay, I understand that there's more aftermarket parts for the Rem. 700, but that the Savage will likely be more accurate out of the box. Not crazy about the Accu-Trigger on the Savage, but they do feel O.K.. I think the Rem. has some kind or "X-Mark Pro" trigger or something or other. I want to keep costs down, but have a decent rifle, too.

Any opinions?
I own a two remingtons. one in 308 and the other in 243. the problem in a varmint remington is the long freebore. if you are handloading with varmint rounds say 75 gr or smaller in order to get sufficient amount of the bullet in the neck you may have to have a gap of 15-20/1000. the remington comes with a heavy trigger pull but you can not only adjust the sear you can adjust to a light pull.
tom stiver

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.