Remington 700 sps varmint

NDSU35

Hey guys, do any of you have any experience with the Remington model 700 sps varmint? I have been looking into getting one and I am curious as to what kind of accuracy I should expect out of the box? I have also herd the stock is junk and I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on this situation for me.

Thanks for the help!

Are you looking at the 308 or 223? I used a sps varmint 308 to shoot a bull elk at 451 yards in 2012, put 2 168 bergers into his shoulder about 1.5 inches apart. The gun would shoot .5 to .75 moa out to 600 yds. Great guns to start learning on, in my opinion.

Right out of the box I wouldn't expect too much. Under 2moa for sure but if you install pillars, float and bed it, you should get it sub MOA without any trouble.

If it were me though I'd suggest looking at the Winchester Model 70 coyote outback in .22-250 if you can find one. If the budget is limited then I'd say look at the CZ 527. Deadly accurate right out of the box and they get better as you break them in. Once you get used to the single set trigger you'll be spoiled for life too.

I have the ADL version from Dick's. Before cutting the barrel to 20" it shot .65moa at 100yds. Now with the barrel cut back to 20" it shoots much tighter. Last time at the range the best five shot group was .307" center to center shooting 165gr Sierra GameKing SPBT at 200yds. This is with the factory Varminter stock. I am afraid to change anything out because of the way it shoots.

I have a 308 and a 22-250 Varmint. I have replaced the plastsic stock on the 308 with a H-S stock it shoots around 1" with Federal factory 150g. It shot OK with the plastic stock but it had to go. The same with the 22-250. Shot good with white box 45g Winchester but if you tightened the front action screw tight it hits the bolt. I felt it in the store. I thought the lugs were just tight. I thought I would try and I am expecting my Boyds Tacticool stock. "I hate that name" to be on the front porch by this eveinig. I have not shot either of the rifles very much, I have other rifles that I have been useing for years.. but I am in the process of working up loads for both of these rifles. The 22-250 will be first after I bed it into the Boyds stock. Then we will see if They can shoot as good as my other rifles.

I got one in 308 win and we are coming up on 4000 rounds. I ditched the factory stock and trigger just out of preference. Its shot good since i bought it, about 1-1.5 moa. I got it down to .25-.5 moa there for a little while but id say .5-.75 moa is more what i expect on a regular basis. My only complaint is the barrel has always been pretty rough and takes a while to clean but all in all its definitely worth the money.

I have a Remington sps varmint in the 308win. 40 rounds down the barrel for break in and it's always been a shooter sense! Probably one of my favorite varmint rifles! In my experience extremely accurate! .25-.5 moa out to 600 yards all day with hand loads!

I have one, a stainless version with a heavy bead-blasted barrel and jewelled bolt (.22-250). The Varmint Stainless Fluted being sold now is similar, but has to be a few ounces lighter with the fluted barrel than the porker I have. Mine is kind of a backup to my .204s so I haven't even handloaded for it yet; seems to shoot about any factory stuff into an inch or less after the requisite trigger (Timney) and stock (B&C) change. Of course, once you start swapping parts on that SPS you'll soon have as much or more $ in it as a Tikka Varmint, CZ 550 or Savage Predator Max 10, all excellent alternatives.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.