700 SPS .243 Win

Nikolakangrga

My Fiance has a .243 Win 700 SPS rifle. She would like to have some work done to it and make it her Long range rifle for coyotes, rabbits, and deer. She figures that it would be the perfect rifle for her to learn and better understand long range shooting before she invests into a larger caliber. Her question to me which Iam hoping you guys could answer is this, " Should I keep it a .243 Win or would a different caliber work better for what I want?". What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Nick-

Nick,

First, keep in mind these are just my humble opinions.

I don't know what she considers long range, but for deer the .243 becomes a marginal choice at about 400-500 yds depending on bullet choice. Yotes and rabbits its fine as far as you can hit em.

If I'm going to be putting significant amounts of money into a rig I want it to do everthing I expect of it, I'd upgrade.

If she's just talking trigger job and bedding, have it done and leave it a .243

I guess the bottom line here for me is.....Just how far out does she want to shoot deer? Past 500 yds I'd go bigger.

Just my thoughts.

Chris

+1 what winmagman said. Range is the limit for the .243 when it comes to deer. For varmints and predators she should be good to go with only her abilities being the limiting factor as she learns. The .243 is an ideal cartridge to start out with. It's accurate, economical to run and the recoil is light.
I shot the .243 all summer at groundhogs and my success rate rose as the bullets weight did. I started out with the 65gn V-Max and ended the year with the 95gn Ballistic Tip. The heavier pills definately hold up better at the longer ranges. I'm pretty sure I could kill a deer at 500yds with my .243 but I have a lot of time behind a lot of triggers. I know my dad made it look pretty easy but that's all he shot for 25 + years. JohnnyK.

The 243 is a great choice for learning to shoot. if the rifle is very accurate out of the box (my wifes SPS varmint 243 is quite accurate), simply continue to have her practice with it. Nothing wrong with upgrading components on the rifle to make it shoot better or fit her better. It all helps but she simply must practice and practice some more with equipment that fits her. The 243 round is quite mild on recoil and with the heavier bullets, makes a darn good longer range performer. Deer at 600 maybe not (IMHO) but varmints as far as she can go no problem. Easy to find accurate factory ammo and easy to reload for as well. If SHE wants to do some work on the gun to improve fit and performance then by all means do it. nothing better than a gun that fits well.

The 243 is a great choice for learning to shoot. if the rifle is very accurate out of the box (my wifes SPS varmint 243 is quite accurate), simply continue to have her practice with it. Nothing wrong with upgrading components on the rifle to make it shoot better or fit her better. It all helps but she simply must practice and practice some more with equipment that fits her. The 243 round is quite mild on recoil and with the heavier bullets, makes a darn good longer range performer. Deer at 600 maybe not (IMHO) but varmints as far as she can go no problem. Easy to find accurate factory ammo and easy to reload for as well. If SHE wants to do some work on the gun to improve fit and performance then by all means do it. nothing better than a gun that fits well.

+1, and I concur!

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts