Rem. 700 SPS-Varmint vs. Savage 12FV in .243

[ QUOTE ]
.......a little more quality, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing you put "IMO" after that.

Oh...Go SAVAGE!!

I really feel Savage has earned my money lately. I beleive that remington is playing catch up to Savage in many areas. I say this because Savage has been giving the public what it wants instead of telling us what we want. I would draw a comparison to chevy, ford and dodge, if it were not for honda and toyota coming along with a superior product we would all be driving a remodeled 1981 malibu!!!
Hammer forged barrel vs a button rifled one, yeah rite!!
Thats why I vote Savage, just my 2 cents,
Cdog.

Well, it looks like there's cheerleaders for both rifles - that's good.
BUT, if the fit/finish of the Savage 12FV is anything like the Savage Precision Varminter (in .22-250) that I handled today, I may go with the Savage. The metal finish was way above the Rem. SPS, but they didn't have an 12FV for me to compare it to.
Can anyone tell me about the fit/finish of the 12FV?

Personally, I don't want to do a whole lot of tinkering to get a shooter. I really only plan to switch out the stock because I want a thumbhole laminate.

<font color="blue">Sendero_Man,

I will take a better photo with a more aesthetic background soon, but this one will have to do for now.

The 4-targets on the left are 80g Berger Match (for prairie dogs) and the 1-target on the right is 100g Sierra SBT (white tails)</font>

700SPS243a.jpg

thanks a lot. does that have the 24" 1 in 10 twist ?

I was looking at the 26" varmint SPS....

Looks like a tack driver... can you give me your load info please.... thanks....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif see reading your signature it is 26"

<font color="blue">Sendero_Man,

It is a 26-inch 9-1/8" twist barrel -- you can check out the Remington Webpage http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint.asp

I am shooting 80g Berger Match Grade bullets over 43.5g of Hodgdon H414 or 38.5g Hodgdon Varget. I haven't chronographed either load yet but I will soon. I am guessing 3300 fps for the H414 and 3500 for the Varget according the the Hodgdon loading manual. I load the bullets .005" away from the lands.

Of course this does not mean these loads will shoot for you in your rifle and you will have to experiment to find the loads your rifle likes best.</font>

I have a Savage 12FV 243 and I love the rifle. With 95gr bergers I shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards regularly. I have owned a few remingtons in 6mm and what I have found is that you can find loads that shoot well in them but it will take some looking. Where as the savages shoot almost everything very well.

<font color="blue">Close-ups of targets. The dots I use as targets are 1/2" diameter "Avery Red Glow Color Coding Labels" available from the local office supply store. </font>

03080780GBERGERB.jpg
04060780GBERGER.jpg

040607SIERRA100GSBT.jpg

Quick-Karl, that is a some really good shooting with a factory rig. .4'S with a factory rig is awesome. Your rifle looks nice too.

Jake

sendero man i just bought a 12 BVSS from sportsman safari they were by far the best price and very very customer friendly
DB

<font color="blue">Wildcat,

Thank you. I am very happy with the rifle. I was going to sink a boatload of money into a full custom - Surgeon Action / Schneider barrel etc etc, but my best friend (gunsmith / gun dealer) talked me into this rifle assuring me I would be able to achieve good accuracy for far less money than a full custom and I believe he was 110% correct.
</font>

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.