weatherby mark v vs remington 700 sps ss

Hey guys you talked me into keeping this beauty so I figured I would honor you guys with some pics :)

Attachments

• gun 1.jpg
    gun 1.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 70
  • gun 2.jpg
    gun 2.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 88
That looks like one of the rare 26" barreled models. Most of the Mark V's only have a 24" barrel, and the Accumarks have 26" barrels.

I think you're making the right decision by keeping it and reloading for it.

I'm not sure what model it is but ya its a 26" barrel #3 contour barrel and a composit stock like I said idk what model or even what its worth

That looks like one of the rare 26" barreled models. Most of the Mark V's only have a 24" barrel, and the Accumarks have 26" barrels.

I think you're making the right decision by keeping it and reloading for it.

They changed to 26 inch barrels during later years of Japanese production and for all subsequent US production for Weatherby calibers. It has probably been close to 20 years, so they are not rare.

They changed to 26 inch barrels during later years of Japanese production and for all subsequent US production for Weatherby calibers. It has probably been close to 20 years, so they are not rare.
Almost all Mark V rifles I've seen (not regarding Accumarks) have 24" barrels, however, I usually only look at the Accumarks & Mark-V Deluxe models. My bad.

It appears to be an older Mark V Fibermark, and yes, the new 7mm Wby Mag do come with a 26" #2 contour 1:10 twist barrel. Not sure on the older barrel specs, but Roy wasn't known for changing much up either, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's still the same barrel specs.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/fibermark

Hey guys I'm gunna bring this thread back real quick. With the freebore of the weatherby is this gun capable of hitting a 15" target at a grand. Now obviously if possible it would take work. A barrel, a stock and handloads. Just straight up yes or no. I would like to be able to really reach out and touch something givin I am able to shoot that well. I would like to be able to get to that distance someday and trust my rifle to hit what I'm aiming at. So is this mark v capable of that accuracy

Hey guys I'm gunna bring this thread back real quick. With the freebore of the weatherby is this gun capable of hitting a 15" target at a grand. Now obviously if possible it would take work. A barrel, a stock and handloads. Just straight up yes or no. I would like to be able to really reach out and touch something givin I am able to shoot that well. I would like to be able to get to that distance someday and trust my rifle to hit what I'm aiming at. So is this mark v capable of that accuracy

Well...if you want to consistantly hit 15" target at 1000 yards that would mean if you aim at the center of the target, then you have 7.5 inches in every direction before you miss. A 1 MOA rifle (with no shooter error) would provide you a 10inch group...which in theory should be good enough to stay inside the 15inch target, however...there will be some shooter error no matter what so I would want a gun shooting 1/2 MOA or better at those distances. You can probably get almost all guns to shoot that way with money by getting new barrels, stocks, bedding jobs etc. I would work up some loads with your weatheryby in it's stock form and see if you can find a handload it shoots well. You may luck out and find a load that already shoots 1/2MOA in it's stock form. I would pick your bullet weight (not sure if you plan on hunting but take that into consideration if you do). Then I would pick two different type bullets and get 50 of each. Then I would get two different powders for your rifle. Read the manuals here for which powders will work. Then I would experiment with the two different bullets and two different powders. This would give you confidence on whether your rifle is a shooter in it's stock form. Most people dont realize, it usually costs a bit to get a long range shooting set-up...whether it's due to the rifle/optics or to working up a good load for that rifle...or BOTH.

Sometimes you simply get really lucky like I did with my remington mountain SS. That thing shoots factory remington core lokts at .5-.75 MOA consistantly. Since it is a shorter range shooter, under 500 yards for me...I dont even bother reloading for it.

Freebore has nothing to do with how well a rifle shoots. The freebore you are imagining is not a matter of inches or feet. It's like 1/4-1/2" of freebore at the end of the chamber to help reduce throat erosion, and to help reduce chamber pressures... That's all freebore is, and it shouldn't make any difference in accuracy.

So answer your question, with the way your gun shot those 3 shots you posted (minus the high-flier that you pulled), yes I believe the gun is capable of shooting MOA @ a grand.

Alright thanks guys. I'll be heading the range today and popping a few rounds off ill let u guys know how I do today with a different load then last time. I'll be shooting actually weatherby brand ammo today

Alright thanks guys. I'll be heading the range today and popping a few rounds off ill let u guys know how I do today with a different load then last time. I'll be shooting actually weatherby brand ammo today
Make sure you're giving your barrel sufficient time to cool before firing another round. A hot sporter barrel will not group very well.

Freebore has nothing to do with how well a rifle shoots. The freebore you are imagining is not a matter of inches or feet. It's like 1/4-1/2" of freebore at the end of the chamber to help reduce throat erosion, and to help reduce chamber pressures... That's all freebore is, and it shouldn't make any difference in accuracy.

So answer your question, with the way your gun shot those 3 shots you posted (minus the high-flier that you pulled), yes I believe the gun is capable of shooting MOA @ a grand.

if free bore helps accuracy you would find it in the 6ppc 's they shoot in 100-300 br and in the various calibers they shoot in other disciplines like 1000 yard f-class 6.5-284. it does reduce pressure .

if free bore helps accuracy you would find it in the 6ppc 's they shoot in 100-300 br and in the various calibers they shoot in other disciplines like 1000 yard f-class 6.5-284. it does reduce pressure .
I said freebore DID NOT affect accuracy (that means it neither helps nor hinders). It is only there to lessen chamber pressures and to help reduce throat erosion...Re-read my post.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts