Weatherby Mark V WeatherMark vs. Browning X-Bolt Pro

A pound is too much for me.

After after getting pounded by a straight stock I glued a piece of balsa wood so I could carve it and see how it affected recoil. I kept carving until it almost had the shape of a Weatherby. What an improvement! Now I own two Weatherbys; although the six lug 270 Winchester is for sale.

But the saying is true for anything, I was just hunting for elk and my rifle of choice was my 284 22 inch tube and 9 inch can. At the end of the day I was wishing for my LW 6.5 but couldn't have made the shot I did at 919. It is give and take

Yeah I find extremely light rifles wonderful until you're shooting them. Unfortunately that's the important part.

I've been shooting a bunch of 6-8# rigs the last few range sessions. I seem to call alot more fliers than I do with heavier guns. They shoot well when you drive them right. Just takes alot more effort and concentration.

But the saying is true for anything, I was just hunting for elk and my rifle of choice was my 284 22 inch tube and 9 inch can. At the end of the day I was wishing for my LW 6.5 but couldn't have made the shot I did at 919. It is give and take
Lol, if the hunts unsuccessful I always wish I had a lighter gun, but I never seem to worry about it when I'm successful with hunting.

Last edited:
Food for thought:
The Barrett Fieldcraft in .308 Win weighs 5.1 lbs., comes with a 21" barrel or 18" threaded barrel, has 1:10" twist, and RIGHT NOW is on sale for $1500 online at Cabela's (they don't seem to have any 6.5CM available). In my book, that's a tremendous mountain rig at a great price.

Between the rifles you mentioned, I prefer the Browning. I also agree with the suggestion of looking at the 300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.