Votes: 3 10.0%

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Other (explain below?)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Caulder

Got a hold of a proof glacier ti take-off stock that weights 18 oz. I'm trying to build a super handy ultralight rifle with a 16-18 inch barrel. Was sold on 308, but having overthought it, now I'm utterly without direction.

I guess my main goal is getting the LRH opinion on the most efficient cartridge from a 16-18 barrel, probably short action, that will see tons of whitetail and muley, occasional elk and axis, and also occasional 600 yard shots on sheep. Don't have much time to reload, and travel a lot so would like to be able to pick up ammo off the shelf or have it delivered wherever I'm going from some online store. What are your thoughts?

6.5 prc. The old remington 600's came chambered in 6.5 rem mag. The prc is pretty close to that. Hornady makes pretty good ammo for it. With a short barrel that is going to be very marginal for elk.

I voted 300 SAUM. You didn't say whether you needed factory ammo options or not and the SAUM works better in a short action than a WSM.
Thanks for the vote. Why the 300 SAUM over the 300 WSM? If I'm sticking to 180-190gr projectiles in the WSM, would there really be any difference in short action limitations? I do want factory options, though it can all be online if need be, and in my mind brass for 300 WSM will be easier if I make time to reload.

Thanks for the vote. Why the 300 SAUM over the 300 WSM? If I'm sticking to 180-190gr projectiles in the WSM, would there really be any difference in short action limitations? I do want factory options, though it can all be online if need be, and in my mind brass for 300 WSM will be easier if I make time to reload.
The SAUM case was better suited to use in short actions. The WSM will work but it sticks the projectile pretty deep in the case.

The picture below has a Berger 185 Juggernaut with the bearing surface seated at or above the neck shoulder junction.

There is no doubt the SSUM will be more work for reloading, I plan to neck up ADG 7SAUM brass. 300WSM is already head stamped with ADG. And there will likely be be more factory options with 300WSM.

IMG_4609.jpeg

Just make sure you understand how violent these rifles can be in a magnum round. They are also loud as hell even more so with a brake. If you shoot without ear protection in a hunting situation you will damage your hearing. I have bad tinnitus in left ear due to this. It's not just recoil. The muzzle jump is very bad and you better be hanging on tight. Because of this they can be harder to shoot accurately. It's not going to be something you will look forward to shooting lol. Fyi I have a 600 in 350 rem mag that shoots 200 gr barnes 2800 out of a 18" barrel. With a carbon stock it's 6 lbs total weight. Hence my preference for the 6.5 rem mag with 140's.

Depends on your elevation for hunting and your bullet choice.

my opinion is you need enough powder to push your selected bullet to its expansion velocity at your longest shots. Give an extra 1-200 fps if you're feeling uncomfortable about it.

Without other info I'll select 6.5prc because it will do it at sea level with factory ammo bullet selection.

My 16" 6.5 creed hits my velocity threshold at sea level at around 480 with a 143. With a 130 it should move that out to 550 or so. Add altitude and you're good to 6

Got a hold of a proof glacier ti take-off stock that weights 18 oz. I'm trying to build a super handy ultralight rifle with a 16-18 inch barrel. Was sold on 308, but having overthought it, now I'm utterly without direction.

I guess my main goal is getting the LRH opinion on the most efficient cartridge from a 16-18 barrel, probably short action, that will see tons of whitetail and muley, occasional elk and axis, and also occasional 600 yard shots on sheep. Don't have much time to reload, and travel a lot so would like to be able to pick up ammo off the shelf or have it delivered wherever I'm going from some online store. What are your thoughts?
Do you plan on shooting suppressed? If not I wouldn't recommend such a short barrel, I just took the can off my ultralight 16" 6.5 saum to hunt in a state that doesn't allow suppressors.
I absolutely frigging HATE shooting it without that suppressor!
It went from a mild super fun/quiet experience to a miserable jumpy, sharp recoiling, muzzle blasting rodeo..
If no suppressor I'd go with an ultralight 6.5 creed and a 24" barrel, if going suppressed then a 16" 6.5 or 7 prc is what you want.

Just make sure you understand how violent these rifles can be in a magnum round. They are also loud as hell even more so with a brake. If you shoot without ear protection in a hunting situation you will damage your hearing. I have bad tinnitus in left ear due to this. It's not just recoil. The muzzle jump is very bad and you better be hanging on tight. Because of this they can be harder to shoot accurately. It's not going to be something you will look forward to shooting lol. Fyi I have a 600 in 350 rem mag that shoots 200 gr barnes 2800 out of a 18" barrel. With a carbon stock it's 6 lbs total weight. Hence my preference for the 6.5 rem mag with 140's.
Exactly my reluctance to go with the 300 wsm. It sounds perfect otherwise, but the trade off is it won't be fun to shoot or take to the range. I have an 18 inch 6.5 PRC and utmost confidence it will take Elk out of 600 if I do my part. Maybe this little uberlight should be a 308 or even a creed

Do you plan on shooting suppressed? If not I wouldn't recommend such a short barrel, I just took the can off my ultralight 16" 6.5 saum to hunt in a state that doesn't allow suppressors.
I absolutely frigging HATE shooting it without that suppressor!
It went from a mild super fun/quiet experience to a miserable jumpy, sharp recoiling, muzzle blasting rodeo..
If no suppressor I'd go with an ultralight 6.5 creed and a 24" barrel, if going suppressed then a 16" 6.5 or 7 prc is what you want.
Agreed on all counts, and this will have a can. Only hunt suppressed and won't give tourist or tag revenue to states that don't allow it

I'm of the opinion that 6.5 PRC in a short barrel might be marginal on elk past 500 yards in terms of retained energy. 308/7-08 will struggle to maintain >1900 fps at 500 yards, let alone 600 yards for your sheep scenario, so that really only leaves 300 WSM in your list.

Have you considered 6.8 Western or 270 WSM? Not a ton of factory ammo available, but it's out there. Performance should be near enough ideal for your parameters, substantially less recoil than the 300WSM.

@ 500 yards, standard atmosphere at 3000 ft elevation (rough guess for 16"-18" bbl velocity by subtracting 200 fps from 24" load data)...

6.5 PRC, 143 ELDX, MV 2750 fps = 2100 fps, 1400 ftlbs @ 500 yards
308, 178 ELDX, MV 2500 fps = 1850 fps, 1350 ftlbs @ 500 yds
7-08, 162 ELDX, MV 2550 fps = 1900 fps, 1300 ftlbs @ 500 yds

270 WSM / 6.8 West, 145 ELDX, MV 2900 fps = 2150 fps, 1500 ftlbs @ 500 yds

7 SAUM would be also be a good choice ballistically, but I think factory ammo selection is about zero...