• 7mm-08

Votes: 3 10.0%

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Other (explain below?)

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Agreed on all counts, and this will have a can. Only hunt suppressed and won't give tourist or tag revenue to states that don't allow it
I tend to agree with that sentiment but we're going to Hawaii, and **** I want to shoot a few sheep, goats, and hogs!
No tags required just a license

My 20" 308 is pretty slow with the bigger pills. It is ok with light monos, but loses steam fast. It wears a suppressor and where I hunt, I will never run out of velocity. If I were going out west for longer range, I would look to a magnum. FWIW.

I had a 22" 6.5 SAUM and it pretty fast. Wanting factory, 6.5 PRC can be found everywhere nowadays. I do not see the 300 WSM much anymore on the shelves.

Unless intentionally going to shoot suppressed, I would also opt for at least a 22" tube on any of the ones you mentioned.

22"
If you MUST shoot factory ammo (why build a custom to shoot factory ammo though), 6.5PRC. Limit shot distances on elk.

Agree with lance above.

Also, just make sure your suppressor can handle the cartridge pressure at the barrel length you desire.

Long ago, I chopped a 243 to 16" ..... big mistake.

Hope this helps. And keep us updated with your decision.

I voted 6.5 CM because I don't think any of the magnum cartridges get their best accuracy out of an ultralightweight. Most people, including me, can't shoot them well. Reasonable enough for normal hunting distances, but beyond 350 yds or so I'd go with something with a nice balance of weight and shootability. I've got a tikka 243 thats 7 lbs ready to hunt, but I prefer carrying and shooting my 9 lb 7 rem mag. The 20" barrel on that 243 barks WAY more than it should.

Since you're hunting suppressed and want to hunt elk, I'd go with the 6.5 PRC and a 20" barrel. As others have said, you will have to check to see your retained velocity is adequate for expansion at 600 yds in your short barrel. I've yet to take my first elk, but many experienced elk hunters recommend a 300 magnum as ideal. If you're willing to limit your shot presentations and distances an ultralightweight is doable.

I just built an elk gun myself and it's a 9-9.5 lb 300 PRC with 24" barrel. YMMV. Personally, I don't think ultralight rifle and long distance elk hunting are compatible. My BIL has a lightweight 300 Weatherby. It is deeply unpleasant to shoot without the muzzle brake. Your suppressor will help, but it's not as effective at taming recoil as a muzzlebrake. If suppressors were legal here, I would absolutely build a 20 or 22" 300 mag, but I would want it to weigh at least 8 lbs.

Just some thoughts from a random guy on the internet…. Worth what you paid for it.