Low recoil deer caliber

Agreed. I wasn't commenting about things outside of the smaller caliber rifle cartridges. I should have added a disclaimer for 2700 fps and above cartridges or something like that. A 260gr bullet going 2700 fps isn't a low-recoil round for a kid. High velocity rounds are known to have an explosive like affect caused from pressure waves in soft tissue that cause large temporary wound cavities.

Were you shooting 6.5 Creedmore or Grendel? How big of an animal? How far of a shot? Broadside or quartering?
You are correct. Apples and oranges, and neither are what I would recommend for a child. Just examples of passthrough vs non passthrough.

Both broadside. 20ga 50yds mature whitetail, 6.5 creed 100yds young mule deer.

I like to introduce kids to a caliber larger than a 22 rimfire with a vintage Savage bolt action in 30-30. It has enough weight to mitigate some of the moderate recoil in factory loads. Most youth rifles are far too light IMHO. I use cast bullet reloads during the initial training and can then determine when they are ready to go with factory loads. In the meantime, they can learn all the details of safe handling, loading/unloading, aiming, and shooting one cartridge at a time. It has a few scars from being dropped a time or two, but that is common with young kids. I usually make them unload and sling the rifle on shoulder when we walk out to check the target (my range, my rules). When they can handle all that correctly, they are close to being ready to join us for a hunt.

I've raised two hunters and taken many others on their first hunt. I really encourage suppressor use. My favorite low recoil rounds are 6.5 Grendel and 22 Creedmoor, killed many with 22-250 before the Creedmoor with heavier bullets came along. One thing that has helped more first time hunters than any other is let them dry fire, crosshairs on the game before you ever load the chamber.
22-250 AI with 1-8 twist barrel works well with heavier projectile