Lots of People like to bash brands.

All NightForce scope models are assembled, inspected, tested, and packaged at the NightForce facility in Orofino Idaho or Lavonia, Georgia. They use Japanese glass just like all the other mid to high end scope companies do. Most of it comes from a company named Hoya. There are no American optic glass companies that manufacture lens for binos, scopes and the like. Swarovski stopped contracting their glass out in 98 if I remember correctly. They realized that the only thing that set them apart was their glass so they stopped selling to other scope companies and I think they are the only scope manufacturer that make their own glass now. There are optics made in different places, Philippines, Malaysia, Eastern Europe and etc.. As far as Leupold over half of their scopes are manufactured in China, including the glass. The Gold Ring scopes are still assembled in Oregon but the glass for their mid to high end scopes is procured from Japan. I don't have any bias at all as to which scope a person has as long as it is what he wants but for a company like Leupold to stamp their a good American name on cheap Chinese junk is deplorable. They should have completely distanced themselves from it, under a different name if they had break into the boat anchor market. I just counted and now have 17 Gold Rings mounted and wonder about it if Leupold will be in business much longer to warranty them. I can report that Leupold did not just drink the koolaide but got stupid drunk off of it. Happy Shooting.
Hardly any of what you said is actually true. NX8 - Made in Japan. Says it on the scope. SHV - made in Japan. NXS - most of the newer ones say made in Japan.

This is directly from Leupold's website:
Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.

B803A908-DD7E-4050-81BB-F6FC79A78CBB.jpeg
Ret was fixed but it was 50% off in elevation tracking and had a complete and utter Inability to hold a zero on two different proven rifles.

leupold assembles scopes in USA. They are not made in USA. They source parts and put them together here. like some Burris scopes. They only scope I know that's actually made in the USA fully with the exception of the reticle is a Vortex AMG.
This is true. Leupold has China make some of their parts. This is likely how the counterfeit Leupolds got started.

There is similar talk around the vortex PST series. An optic purchased for somewhere between $700-$1000 with the serious intent of twisting turrets. Feedbacks vary from never had a problem at all, to sent back multiple times. Vortex customer service for these returns being prompt to repair or replace in most situations. So we can easily rebuttal with: save up & buy a nightforce, s&b, tangent theta, etc.... And not that it's a bad suggestion but not everyone can put one of those on a rifle or multiple rifles even if they do have the funds to and actually put one on a single rifle. So does this mean that you can't purchase an optic that's repeatable, reliable, and will last within reason for under $1000? EDIT: My wording wasn't good : I do believe you can purchase an optic with those qualities for under $1000

every company is going to have duds... I bashed the customer svc not the scope. You can go buy any 75000 diesel truck off the lot in any flavor and there will still be duds. As long as the company reps take care of you as a customer then water under bridge. If they talk down to you in a condescending tone and it takes 3 attempts to fix it.... well... BYE

Last edited:
Hardly any of what you said is actually true. NX8 - Made in Japan. Says it on the scope. SHV - made in Japan. NXS - most of the newer ones say made in Japan.

Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.

doesn't mean they don't have other scope manufacturers make parts for them. Whether that be China, Japan or somewhere else

I've been a part of this forum for a few years now, and noticed that there are plenty of guys that like to make it known when they don't like product.
So I'm curious if admin allows, anyone that truly had an issue with an optic, and has sent it back. Would post a copy of the work order that the manufacture gave you after they did or did not fix it.
I guess my point is if you had a poblem with an optic and sent it in for repair I'd like to see proof.
If you are running your mouth about some problem a guy you met at the range said his brother's buddy had, and you have no proof I don't need your opinion.
Excuse me a moment. When I have stated any displeasure with a product, I specifically describe all of the events that led to my displeasure for several reasons. First and foremost, I am hoping someone who works for the company I am addressing my reasons for my displeasure happens across my complaints and corrects problems that initiate my comments. I don't form my opinion until I have gone through every avenue to correct the problem. Then, if I want to be helpful when asked for advice, I tell whomever what I think about a product and why. If the problem I experienced has been corrected by the product manufacturer, I would consider purchasing another product from them.
But, when did you become the self appointed policeman and complaint evaluator for this website? You can formulate your opinion however you want but to make accusations that anyone who dislikes a brand or manufacturer is absolutely absurd. Unless I have heard otherwise, this country still guarantees us freedom of speech. Maybe whomever made the statement no longer has the papers that documented their problems. I still value and trust many other members opinions on this website, irrefutably. So I can formulate my own ideas and decisions. This is a website, thanks to Len Backus, that is totally based on and off everyone's opinions, not some self appointed censorship from individuals.
My purpose is not to ruffle any feathers but let you know how I view your post personally.

Leupold's line of Rifleman scopes and their Wind River Optics are Chinese , every part, every lens, every assembly. Now they are the lions share of Leupold sales. Leupold gets their lenses from Japan like just about every other brand in the U.S. for their mid to high end scopes. Lenses are chosen and categorized into 7 different grades depending on the clarity. This is done with a photometer and the clearer the glass the higher quality scope it can be installed in and therefore cost more. They are not graded until they are ground and polished and some glass is better, some finishing techniques are better, some days good, some days bad. I don't know what is on their website but they conduct their business just like all the rest except for Swarovski on the high end. I don't think that Night Force has an economy line like most others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.