Lots of People like to bash brands.

That's one reason high end scopes like NF and SB and others like them have a better success rate. They only make scopes costing 1000 bucks or more. Way more. Leupold makes really high end and really low end. If Leupold only made their higher end scopes the return rate would be lower but then not everybody could own one. Most of my customers think 1000 bucks for a scope is expensive and out of reach for them.
Shep

That one looks worse than the VX3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope they repaired of mine. My scope never adjusted right out of the box or broke right away on the first few rounds. I could dial as much windage and elevation as I wanted and it still shot 3.5" high and 3" left.
At least they fix them. What I don't understand is they can't get them right out of the box but they seem to be able to fix the issues.
Mine tracks perfectly after being repaired but in the back of my mind I have that weird feeling it's going to fail on me again at the wrong time.

I've sent 5 back the past 12 months. Just got this one back yesterday - We're hard on the equipment To say the least!

Regardless, I support American based products - leupold still holds a purpose in my safe!

Attachments

• Leupold Scope Repair.jpg
    Leupold Scope Repair.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 110
That's one reason high end scopes like NF and SB and others like them have a better success rate. They only make scopes costing 1000 bucks or more. Way more. Leupold makes really high end and really low end. If Leupold only made their higher end scopes the return rate would be lower but then not everybody could own one. Most of my customers think 1000 bucks for a scope is expensive and out of reach for them.
Shep
Compare the high end to the high end and every body else still wins. As far as low cost there are better options out there for the same price, people don't know because they didn't hear about it at deer camp.

Compare the high end to the high end and every body else still wins. As far as low cost there are better options out there for the same price, people don't know because they didn't hear about it at deer camp.
the Meopros are so much better than anything Leupold makes in the same price point, that it should embarrass them. And I will take a Meostar over any of leupold's mid range stuff every day of the week.

I have bought 2 leupolds in the past month. But I only buy them when it's a fantastic deal, like 40 or 50% off. Because that discount is more in line with the actual quality of what you're getting after you subtract the ridiculous markup for the name. And aside from one truck gun/pig gun, all of my leupolds are now on coddled range guns and exhibition-grade wood stocked guns that may see the light of day 2 times in a decade. Leupold makes an elegant-looking scope, but that's about as far as it goes.

In the same month, I bought 2 meostars for real hunting rifles, and another S&B for my primary deer rifle. Where the rubber hits the road, I do not even consider Leupold as a serious choice.

Some people are hard on equipment. My friend would break a piece of 1 inch steel rod mounted in rings. We all have different needs. I personally haven't had scope issues. I did have a tasco break on a 12 guage slug gun one.
Shep

People tend to go by personal experience they bias on good experience and equally bias on bad, the dog bite you twice thing. There are scope and barrel brands I don't consider when buying, nothing teaches you better than the school of disappointment. As far as OP demanding proof of these disappointments......these experiences are mine get your own.

Don't say it too loud. The millions of game animals killed with one on the rifle would be embarrassed to know that they were taken with inferior equipment.
Shep
Same can be said for the millions of dead animals killed with sharp sticks. Just because it has and can work sometimes doesn't make it the best option. Nothing pointed at you personally, just debating a dumb argument. And people use arguments like this for everything. It isn't that people have a low iq, people don't know how to think. Again nothing at you man, just arguing for the sake of Good Dialogue so people can have a productive discussion.

Hence the point of this thread. I want to see proof !
I don't doubt that you sent your steiner back. Just want to see what actually was wrong/fixed or not .
Until I see some actual proof I tend to believe the bashing is "something you heard from someone else"

Interesting you being one of the most vocal on slamming a brand but still no proof.

So just why in the heck should any of us care what you want, what you think adequate proof is or anything else you are asking. If you don't want the information provided without the members having to provide notarized documentation then please bogg off to somewhere you will be happier. WE can easily live without you basically calling us a bunch of lying road apples. Have a great life troll.

Must be the part of the country you live in. I've been smithing for 30 yrs and have sent 2 leupolds back. One was a real old vari x that seemed to have too little adjustment. They sent it back with a letter explaining that those old one only had that much adjustment. They also completely cleaned and upgraded a few parts for free. One was on an encore muzzleloader. Max loads of black horn and 300 grain bullets did me in and the scope. Put a brake on it right away. Want to start the day off right ask about the 6.5creed. Until 3 yrs ago I though it was crazy so many people liked it. Then I drank the coolaid. It's a great cartridge. Wow who would of thunk. Maybe all those guys I though we're crazy. I still won't buy a Ford truck. I think all those people that like them are crazy too.🤣
Shep
Lol you are right. I have a Chevrolet, Ford, Toyota, and a Jaguar in my driveway and the Jag has been in the shop more than all of the others combined.

So just why in the heck should any of us care what you want, what you think adequate proof is or anything else you are asking. If you don't want the information provided without the members having to provide notarized documentation then please bogg off to somewhere you will be happier. WE can easily live without you basically calling us a bunch of lying road apples. Have a great life troll.
OP created this thread after this discussion began on a different thread. So instead of derailing that member's thread he started this one after a discussion came up about 80% of Leupold Scopes failing & was asking if anyone might have visual proof & was gathering a general consensus amongst this group of shooters. I'm brand new to this sight and have followed this thread closely lot's of good info/ opinions, haven't seen any Trolling

I don't have visual proof because I have only sent 2 back in 30 yrs of smithing. But like I said before that some people could break a steel rod mounted. Here in PA we don't have to dial scopes day in and day out. Our hunting is mostly wooded and not far. I'm sure if you depend on a scope to dial distance all the time that's more wear and tear. I have vortex pst2 that seems to track well. But being first focal plane I use the reticle. I want a vx6hd for hunting but all the bad mojo towards Leupold has me second guessing. Then I'm looking at vortex lrt scopes. But then vortex sucks too according to this thread. So what to do. Maybe just put a vx3i on it and be happy.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.