Lothar Barrels

akrange

I'm think'in about buying a couple of their Barrels any thoughts or experiences...

Thanks,
AK

Polygonal or cut; I've used them... seem to be great. I personally like the original Polygonal H&K used in their rifles and pistols.

I was thinking about using their Button Barrels.. I see the offer .308 in the Poly.. What is the distinction between the two types..
Thanks,
AK

Actually it would depend on what you were going to do with it. Long range work I sure like the Poly barrels. Subsonic for suppresser usage; the Poly again is hard to be.

These will be for Hunting Rifles.. One will be a .308 something.. High Vel. issue..

AK

Very popular in Europe, some say the steel is harder to machine. Not sure if they cut barrels, mostly buttoned. Had an interesting rifle in my hands at the IWA in gemany recently, roedale made a howa with a fat experimental Lothar Walther steel/aluminium barrel. The rifle looked 15lbs but only weiged 7lbs.
I've got a 308 with a LW 1in10", very happy.
edi

Well if you mean .30 calibers or something… not just .308 Win; I think the Poly would still work just fine. I've used it in .308 Win and .300 Win Mag with great success. I'd work with the 1-10 Poly keeping the bullet in the 150gr to 220gr range, depending again on barrel length. If I was going to build a hunter with Poly barrel in mind; I think these day's I'd go with .300 RSAUM again the 1-10 twist, I have a Pac Nor Poly on a LR using that combo and it's death ray out to 1k plus with 190gr Mk bullets, so as a hunting rifle with 150gr to 180gr or even 200gr. bullets, it should give you both power and range as a light/med hunting rifle. It's just a great cartridge with more juice and all the accuracy of the .308 Win, in the same length case as the .308 Win.

Ejg
Thanks for your post..

300 Saum something to think about... But I'm still not sure of the Benefit of the Poly over the Button Barrel.Is there some added Mojo in the Poly ...

Thanks,
AK

Mojo? nah'..., just seems to work, never had a bad Poly barrel. On the other hand the .300 RSAUM is way underestimated. I've owned our shot about every .30 caliber out there, by far this one (.300 RSUAM) and the .308 Win are the two I go to.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.