lost accuracy

I have got a rebel sos on my 30.06 Thompson compass, with out the suppressor my group are acceptable once I put it on my group go to way off some time 6 inches high or low to 6 inches to the left or right etc.. what have I done or need to thanks for the help rrh.

WIN_20201012_13_38_55_Pro.jpg
WIN_20201012_13_39_07_Pro.jpg

Looks like bullet strike to me. Have a competent gun smith re thread the barrel and cut the shoulder square to the bore, Then have hin mount the suppressor on the barrel and rotate it with the barrel running true to make sure that the suppressor is also true I have mandrells for this purpose with different thread pitches to check muzzle brakes that will do the same for suppressors.

One or the other is not true to the bore if you are getting bullet strikes. Thanks for the pictures. đź‘Ť

J E CUSTOM

Definitely the can is not on straight. Maybe the barrel was threaded right but the can wasn,t? Without having it in my hands all is a guess. Or possibly whoever threaded it the barrel was bent? I got a savage 17 in here to thread for a can. I never noticed it until I turned on the lathe. Put the receiver in a 4 jaw and got everything good with a dial indicator on the barrel at the receiver. Turned on the lathe. Houston we have a problem. The barrel was a 1/4 out in the middle. Don,t beat a badger to death and send it to me to thread the muzzle lol.

Ouch. That really sucks. Definitely multiple baffle strikes in the suppressor. Stop shooting with it on until you can get the concentricity issue resolved working with a competent gunsmith.
It maybe a very good opportunity to rebarrel the rifle. Especially if there isn't enough material remaining on the current muzzle. The threads will have to be cut off and then the barrel needs to have a new crown cut. Not much more work to cut the action threads and chamber a new higher quality barrel. Something to think about.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know what happened at first it was working great then the baffle strike. What I find odd is none of the other baffles seem to be getting hit only the last one. I wonder if found someone who was good with a drill press or lathe could open the last one just a bit. I shot the gun with out the suppressor the other day and it still shots good.
I spent a lot on the suppressor then waited for what seen like a year for the stamp then this. If I get another suppressor I will find a smith who can do it up right.

I don't believe you can legally modify the caliber of a suppressor. It is registered as a specific caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts