losing elevation when dialing

I understand wear and gunk build-up, but I don't see how the adjustment values can change consistently. I would think that it would not return to zero just as it does not make drops correctly. I would really like to hear from Leupold on the one they repaired. I think I could learn something from the explanation.
I am curious to see that the op finds with some more shooting.

Well, these last few posts have certainly given me some things to consider. I'm going to hit the range one more time with my handload and GMM. This time i'll work my way back from 100 to 500 and check the drops against my ballistic calc and JBM printouts.

I understand wear and gunk build-up, but I don't see how the adjustment values can change consistently. I would think that it would not return to zero just as it does not make drops correctly. I would really like to hear from Leupold on the one they repaired. I think I could learn something from the explanation.
I am curious to see that the op finds with some more shooting.
Just a little slack in the gears would create a repeatable error. More wear than that causing it to slip would create a non repeatable error.

So my second trip to the range went as expected. I started by confirming my Chrony results weren't crap by shooting some long range (400-600Y) will mil-dot hold overs calculated to my data. The results were acceptable and confirmed to my own satisfaction that my MV was correct.

(Note on Millet TRS: 10X is specified as the mil-dot hold over power by the manual when in actuality 16X is the proper magnification to achieve proper hold overs/ranging).

As far as dialing is concerned, i shot at ranges from 200-650 yards with the same results as before. All my data from JBM and my ballistic app output resulted in POI's that were low. The condition gets progressively worse the farther away I shoot. The rifle returned to zero almost perfectly which is interesting and proves to me that the Millett TRS turret adjustments are not true 1/4" adjustments any longer. Not sure why they used to be correct and now they're not. Maybe i'm just crazy.

I've found that i can adjust my MV way low in JBM and my ballistic app i can achieve the results I found in the trajectory validation. Since the scope consistently returned to zero from large amounts of adjustment I can live with this outcome. Next scope purchase will be a middle of the road as far as cost is concerned. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
CodyG,

Glad to hear you were able to at least verify your concerns. I know it's a PITA to have to deal with this kind of BS, but at least you've found a solution without sending the gun or scope off and waiting months to get any satisfaction, if at all..........sometimes a return trip to the gunsmith or scope manny just frustrates us even more than originally.

What do you consider "middle of the road"??

So my second trip to the range went as expected. I started by confirming my Chrony results weren't crap by shooting some long range (400-600Y) will mil-dot hold overs calculated to my data. The results were acceptable and confirmed to my own satisfaction that my MV was correct.

(Note on Millet TRS: 10X is specified as the mil-dot hold over power by the manual when in actuality 16X is the proper magnification to achieve proper hold overs/ranging).

As far as dialing is concerned, i shot at ranges from 200-650 yards with the same results as before. All my data from JBM and my ballistic app output resulted in POI's that were low. The condition gets progressively worse the farther away I shoot. The rifle returned to zero almost perfectly which is interesting and proves to me that the Millett TRS turret adjustments are not true 1/4" adjustments any longer. Not sure why they used to be correct and now they're not. Maybe i'm just crazy. I've found that i can adjust my MV way low in JBM and my ballistic app i can achieve the results I
found in the trajectory validation. Since the scope consistently returned to zero from large amounts of adjustment I can live with this outcome. Next scope purchase will be a middle of the road as far as cost is concerned. Any suggestions?

I think that if in fact your scope's tracking changed over time that it would be a good idea to either find out why, or replace the scope. The issue might have been that the scope needed to be run in. This is why many shooters take a new scope and initially run it up and down the turret range about 20 times before using it. It can get the lubricants smoothed out and the gears well meshed. Then do a 100 yard elevation test to establish the actual click measurement of the scope. I would always be wondering if the problem would persist. My personal viewpoint is that long term turret repeatability is what defines a scope used for long range shooting, and they are not all created equal. I sure that there are other good brands out there, but over the years I have found long term turret repeatability and accuracy to be dead reliable with Leupold Mk4's, Nightforce, and Huskemaw scopes. I know they are pricy, but there is a reason.

As far as dialing is concerned, i shot at ranges from 200-650 yards with the same results as before. All my data from JBM and my ballistic app output resulted in POI's that were low. The condition gets progressively worse the farther away I shoot. The rifle returned to zero almost perfectly which is interesting and proves to me that the Millett TRS turret adjustments are not true 1/4" adjustments any longer. Not sure why they used to be correct and now they're not. Maybe i'm just crazy.

I've found that i can adjust my MV way low in JBM and my ballistic app i can achieve the results I found in the trajectory validation. Since the scope consistently returned to zero from large amounts of adjustment I can live with this outcome. Next scope purchase will be a middle of the road as far as cost is concerned. Any suggestions?

I experienced the same thing this past weekend myself...all my data was input correctly into the strelok app & once I got past about 400 yds the margin of error increased between what I was being told by the app vs what I was actually shooting. I'm wondering if its the base, rings, or scope...in that order. The base is a weaver and its got uneven score marks from the burris tact rings on it. Either way I've got a new EGW base on the way that I will bed and then Ill go from there. It was frustrating to say the least bc the gun itself shot lights out.

Last edited:
I googled "Millet scope problems" turns out this isn't exactly a random occurrence, or even unique to 1 model. I think I'm going to unload my Millet TRS on Ebay and pick up a Vortex Viper.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts