Hunting: do you dial or for elevation or??

Ive had more then few fail. Mark 5's vx6 ect. I havr good friend thats engineer for leupold and agrees they have a problem
I have a VariXIII LR Tactical. Like I said in 32 years it's not failed me. And I have over 10k rounds in that rifle. And one of my friends is a supervisor at Leupold. So yeah the Mark 5's and VX6 might have issues but that doesn't mean all Leupolds are going to fail.

if I'm hunting where long shots are possible, I use the 300 yard zero

This ^^^

When I hunted a section by the border near Laredo, the NXS on the AI AWM stayed at 300 yard zero while on sendero overwatch. We had no blinds, no feeders, just ambush the 4 legged Coyotes and WTs as they cross the senderos.

I'm going to be the different fish here ,I'll get my 100 yd zero then trust my scopes BDC lines out to 625 been working great ,yes I've dialed when at the range but in a hunting situation elk at 1017 yds I hadn't enough time to dial so I let him walk , light faded along with my tag hopes ,but dats hunting . I had a Leupold 6.5x20x50 fail on me while shooting testing for my up coming elk hunt 7STW 160 partitions doing 3225 and 22 moa to reach 1000, yeah they fixed it ,repaired erector system . I lost faith went to other brands ,NF & Meopta,cheers

When shooting many targets at various ranges I use my reticle, either Milrad or MOA, no zero stop on my scopes, not much time to look at dial.

When shooting at known ranges at a selected target I dial elevation first then upon determining wind dial for that.

I am satisfied with my Sightron STAC 3-16X42 & 4-20X50 scopes tracking.

First year using dial on NF FFP. I found it really easy to dial and boost my confidence to take my bull at 310 yards. I did a lot of practice dialing between 300-600 to prepare for my hunt and it worked perfectly.
I zero at 100

Last edited: