Custom Turrets for elevation only, or windage also?

squeeeeze

I am getting ready to order a custom turret and was wondering if I should bother with the windage turret, or should I just go with the elevation?

What do most of you do? Any drawbacks to windage? I'm getting the Military format which has the marked yardages as well as the MOA numbers.

Last edited:
You should only get the elevation turret made. The windage is not needed. You will need to learn to read the wind out to any distance you feel you can shoot and adjust accordingly.

You should only get the elevation turret made. The windage is not needed. You will need to learn to read the wind out to any distance you feel you can shoot and adjust accordingly.
Yep, making a caliber/load specific windage turrett that was accurate would make it as hard to read as a slide rule.

Best to go with a wind chart specific to your caliber if you aren't using a ballitic calculator in the field.

As long as you have a turret that reads true MOA he should be good to go.

I don't use Huskemaw. But, I like their system.

The Elevation turret is calibrated to your load/conditions.

Once you have an accurate range, you dial to the correct distance and there's a subscript indicating the MOA holdoff for windage compensation for a full value 10mph wind.

At that point, you can either hold or dial for wind. Since Huskemaw includes MOA hash marks in the reticle, the wind hold is fast and easy.

It's faster and easier than looking on a chart. But, calibrated turrets are only good within some range of conditions. You can revise and print as many charts as you like and get them laminated at Kinkos.

Nikon is now offering custom turrets for $99. They plan to address wind in a near future revision.

-- richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.