Hunting: do you dial or for elevation or??

After 4-500 on big boomers I dial for elevation hold for wind. On lighter calibers past 300 do the same. Below that on the big boomers its holds. Never done the cds deal, but my hunting rarely is the same, enough so just play the numbers.

With my 24" Tikka, in .270 WSM and 140 gr. Bergers going almost, 3,200 FPS,..
I Zero for 200 Yards with, NO need to Dial, Til' PAST,.. 350 yds on, an Elk.
I "Hold OFF" for, Wind, using, a shirt Pocket, Wind Chart and IF, the Wind is blowing over, 15- 20 MPH,.. I'll stay in Camp, drinking Coffee as,..
NOT wanting to EVER, Wound / lose, an animal,.. OR, I'll Hunt the "Dark Timber" for,.. 50 to 75 yard, shots.

Last edited:
I dial for elevation, hold for wind. Once you get familiar with your set up, dialing it's fast and easy. Hold over will be faster but gets much harder to be accurate past 5-600 yards. nothing wrong with either as long as you practice and are proficient with your method.

Not to derail the thread, but I heard from leupold they were going to try to get the custom work going again, once the back orders were caught up, they were thinking this fall.

I've done hold over and dial. If you got time to range most times you got time to dial. For hold over, depending on reticle, you should be plenty accurate to 5-600yds. Anything beyond that, I believe dialing will be more accurate and then you can either dial for wind or push your reticle. Depending on the reticle, you may be holding off your bars/dots for wind and that seems to give more chances for errors to happen.
It would be awesome if true. I have heard this exact same thing from before COVID and after COVID. 🤣🤣🤣....if they have a back log still from before Covid......they will need a new warehouse to just store all the "NEW" requests that have been waiting years. Positive for them I sent a scope in this year for dust inside it.....back and fixed within three weeks.

I grew up shooting Weatherby calibers, and I always sighted in dead on at 300 yards and practiced hold over for long range and knew what my bullets were doing at different ranges with both drift and drop. With the advent of dialing elevation, I adopted that and have never looked back, although I have used drop reticles too. If I'm hunting in the woods, I will adjust to a 100 yard zero and if I'm hunting where long shots are possible, I use the 300 yard zero. I hunt a highline at home between two thickets, and I can shoot up to 430 yards. I leave my scope dialed to 300, and if I have time to dial I will, and If I don't have time I will rely on my past education. This works very well for me.