Elevation HELP!!

jones

I have a Rem. 700 in 7mm RM that Im wanting to extend my range alittle bit, but ran into a snag. Mounted a Vortex viper 6.5-20x50mm 30mm tube and was happy out to 600 yds. ran my dope from my shooter program for 700, which said 15.8 moa and I only had 15moa elevation. That was with Burris one piece base and high rings. So I ordered Weaver 20moa pic rail and medium tactical rings and they only gave me another 2moa, so now Im at 17moa max. What is wrong or what did I do wrong? My goal is 800 yds. and I need @20 moa, what am I not seeing? Thanks for your help.

Your 20 MOA rail was actually a 2MOA rail? Sounds like it was probably a 0 MOA rail and the 2 MOA shift is just chance. Your scope zero should have been way off when you mounted the new base. Was it not?

When I remounted the scope on the new rings and base yes it was off zero but not alot, I didnt keep notes but Im thinking like @4 in. at 100.

Jones=I'm sort of having the same issues with my vortex. Not enough MOA adj. left on the elevation turret. I'm subscribing to hear what others have to say...
Not sure if you are utilizing the MOA on your reticle(you have at least another 20 ish -30 ish on your reticle that I'm sure will get you by)

Yeah, I think you didn't get a 20 MOA rail. 4@100 is just simply error from disassembly and reassembly with new stuff.

I know I can get the extra on the rect. but where Im lost is its a 68 moa scope that should give me 34 up but Im only getting 17. Not to sound totally stupid but cant I measure the base to check if its 20 moa or not

Sure. The new one should be shorter in the front and/or taller in the back. Just make sure you measure at the same point on both bases, such as over the base screws.

Its mounted now but tomorrow I can remove it and do some measuring but by eye the back is higher than than the front.

Don't compare the back and front of the same base. Compare the back of the new to the back of the old and same for the front. You should see a difference.

Ok Ill check it out tomorrow,thanks so much for your help. Im trying to play catch up with my son who is doing alot better at this time than the old man lol

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.