looking to get a Muzzle Break

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by oilcan, Apr 6, 2015.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. oilcan

oilcan Member

I am going to put a Muzzle Break on a Sako A7 would like some suggestions on where to get it and how much they run. I live in Northern California but will ship where needed.
    Also anyone know of any good Gunsmiths in northern California.

Thanks in advance

2. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Well-Known Member

The new Harrels tactical brake is out. Works great by all reports and is priced way below the others.

4. IAHNTR

IAHNTR Well-Known Member

I have muscle brakes on 3 rifles and would definitely recommend. Ryan Pierce of Piercision Rifles. He is also a site sponsor. Give him a call.

Piercision Rifles

5. Timber338

Timber338 Well-Known Member

+1. Ryan installed a brake on one of my rifles and his work is excellent.

Another option is to check out JE Custom who is a site sponsor here. His brake is top of the line.

6. RustyRick

RustyRick Well-Known Member

7. oilcan

oilcan Member

Thanks for the responses those are some very good options

8. CB11WYO

CB11WYO Well-Known Member

Just found this guy's website yesterday... anybody used them? They true and straight? Well built?

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

My latest muzzle brake install is a Benchmark tactical mini on my .300 WSM ...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2018
  10. oilcan

oilcan Member

FEENIX that's impressive but a little bulkier then I'm looking for what do you think about Gentry brakes there from up around your part of the country ?

11. Hired Gun

Hired Gun Well-Known Member

I tried several times to use this and Ross brakes and they just require too much work to be worth it. The threads are not straight to the body and to get it right a guy has to recut most every surface.

12. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Official LRH Sponsor

When was that? Obviously not recently. The new 4 port brakes will be threaded and OD turned on a CNC turning center before milling. Before that the run out has been very low on the 4 and 5 port brakes for the last year plus. If you knew how they were done you'd understand why.

Giving opinion on something you haven't tried recently isn't worth giving unless stated as such. Ross is Ross, he'll keep doing things the same old way.

13. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

Here is a YouTube of my 13 year old son Zayne shooting his 7 rum. This rifle is s factory sendero. No mods at all EXCEPT....an Assassin muzzlebrake. If you watch close you will see 2 things, how the gas is dispersed, and the fact that the rifle doesn't move. He is shooting a 190 matrix with 103 grains of 33. This load tops out at 3300+ fps. These brakes work. If a 13 year old can shoot a load like that with a bipod and rear bag and be extremely accurate, I'd say that's proof.

Good luck on your quest....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=pyZPNkFvv-Q

14. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

If you get the mini tactical or the Miller (Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) and have it tapered to your barrel, it does not look as bulky.

As far as the Gentry brakes and if you're referring to the "quiet" brake; I'm sure it offers a reasonable recoil reduction but I am not fond of debris blasting as a result of the radial holes/ports all around when shooting prone.

Good luck!

Attached Files: