Looking for pass through

I do not have the same issues as you are experiencing. The next time I reload for my 6.5x55, it will be the 156 Berger for the max energy dump; no exit wound required
What are the specs on your barrel/rifle. I'm running a 22" 8T and am concerned about being able to push them fast enough.

If I go with a mono style bullet should I drop to the 120's to keep the speed up? If I stick with a more traditional bonded bullet are the 140 class bullets going to give me the results I'm looking for? The only downfall to the swede or any mid caliber 6.5 is the lack of speed obtained for the terminal results I'm looking for.
Yup

I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
You have used some pretty hyper expanding bullets. If you just want a hole all the way through shoot a all copper bullet. If you want consistent expansion and a hole all the way through there are lots of options. My favorites in order are for "Premium" Partition, Accubond, Interbond, Trophy Bonded Tip, Terminal Ascent. "Standard" are Core Lokt, Interlock, Power Point, etc., etc.

Ditto X 2 ^^ These are what, I'm going to use ^^^ in my 6.5 Creed for, Deer & Antelope,.. the ELD-X's, Penetrate DEEP and "kill",.. WELL !
My grandson had, THREE,.. One shot "Kills" from, 225 to 460 Yards ( 6.5 PRC ) 2 Pass Thru's and one under, the far side Hide.
The 6.5 Sweede may NOT always produce,.. "Pass Thru's " !
UN-Less using, Heavier Bullets with,.. Thicker Jackets like,..
Heavier weight, Partition Bullets that, WILL,.. USUALLY,.. "Pass Thru" even after, going thru some Bone !

Last edited:
If you want an exit hole and almost zero blood trail, shoot a Berger.
If you want to walk up on a dead deer where is was standing when you pulled the trigger, ABLR or Hammer. I prefer no exit as that means the animal aborbed all the energy of the bullet and if the shot placement was correct, the animal is dead right there. I have buddies that love Bergers for their pencil sized entrance and exit holes, but then again they enjoy having tracking dogs help them find their deer as no blood trail to follow.

Thank you for all the replies and useful knowledge. Sounds like I should grab some monos and a few other premium bullets to try. I'm not opposed to the theory of the bullet dumping the energy into the animal and not exiting. That has been the case in the past, but im always worried about shots at dark and not recovering the animal. Having a little more blood on the ground can't hurt.

I use 130g or 140g Accubonds in a 6.5x47 Lapua and they exit just fine.
When I had me a Swede, I used 125g Partitions on everything…very few didn't exit.
Another good bullet that never failed me is the Speer 140g HotCor. Think they're called a different name now though.
The 120g class of bullets are the ones I found to almost always be found under the hide in the opposite side, but dead is dead, right?!

Cheers.

Steve at hammer bullets (yep thats x4) will put you on the right track as far as which bullet. Typically its on the lighter side. Since i switched to hammers i havent had to follow a blood trail yet. However i will say that if you want a good blood trail try to aim below the center of the chest. In my experience whether 2 holes or 1 if you are above center theres substantially less blood leaving the cavity.
All boils down to shot placement

Recent Posts