Bullets designed for pass-throughs?

Troutslayer

So I'm thinking I want to try coyote hunting which I've never done before. I got some calls and have permission to kill them on all kinds of ranches where they are abundant. So I'm thinking that I'm going to enjoy this but not so sure that I want to go get a .22-250 or a .17 Rem, which would be my choices. Can I load some kind of ammo for my bigger guns that will not destroy pelts on exit? Should I give it a try with my .22 long instead?

Are you saving pelts?? If so of your choices the 22-250 works well..

I have a 204 ruger shooting the factory 40gr hornady and they run 40-100 yards.. My buddy uses the 32gr and has drop in their tracks results, ussually no exit wound but has 12" more drop @ 400 yards.

If you are not saving pelts then bigger is better. I used to use my 7 STW with 150gr Ballistic Tips or 150 Barnes FB X bullet til I sold it. The X-bullets will pass through with minimal expansion but will still make big holes if you punch the shoulders.

Waiting to get my 6.5X300 Win Mag up and running.. Sick of trying to dope wind @ a mere 200 yards with the little guns.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm getting into coyote hunting in Eastern Washington. Maybe not quite as open as some parts of Montana, but definitely different than the western half of the state...

Anyway, I'm planning on using Hornady 150gr FMJ in my .30-06. These probably won't expand. I'm going to find out. Ballistics are similar to 150gr SST, so I'm telling myself this is practice for deer hunting at longer ranges.

Hope this helps.

I'm getting into coyote hunting in Eastern Washington. Maybe not quite as open as some parts of Montana, but definitely different than the western half of the state...

Anyway, I'm planning on using Hornady 150gr FMJ in my .30-06. These probably won't expand. I'm going to find out. Ballistics are similar to 150gr SST, so I'm telling myself this is practice for deer hunting at longer ranges.

Hope this helps.

I used to shoot "mutts" with a 7Rem Mag using 160 gr FMJs, just over half the time I would get a broadside shot and end up with 3/8" in and out holes with a dead "mutt" in between, sometimes on a frontal or quartering shot the bullet would enter ok then seem to bounce around inside the body and left some really nasty holes that took ALOT of stitching to hide.
I can't be bothered to skin them anymore so this is not an issue, so use a 338LAI, but if you are trying to save the pelts, pick your shots and the FMJs will work well.

Hope this helps.

dmazur, where in Eastern WA? I'm in Moses Lake, been out a few times this year.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts