,257 Bullets and Pass throughs

What .257 bullets shot out of a 25-06 with a 26' barrel will give me pass throughs at 200/400 yds ??? Thanks

Pass through what deer? 100 gr ttsx 115 tsx 115 NPT are all solid performers not to mention the 110 NAB, 100 GR Swift Scirroco and 110 HIB.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I shoot 115 nosler bt out of my .257 and always have pass through. Last I was really impressed when I took a large Michigan white tail at 497 yards and hit the oppisite side shoulder and still had a very nice exit hole. I was super nervous on a trip to Kansas with that load as my longest shot was 85 yards. Between those two shots I am comfortable with that round anytime now. Hit a nice Kansas buck at 82 yards and did great pass through.

Three that I load for..TSX's/partition's...most have been under 250 and all pass thru's....not sure about 400-600 if they would...

I have personally seen an antelope and seven coues wt taken with the 115 Berger hybrid from a 257 weatherby. The antelope was 560 yds and one coues was 525 yds. ALL were pass throughs.

Granted the 25-06 would have the bullet going at a slower velocity but it will work just fine. Not only do these bullets pass through they devastate the animal with many DRTs. A few didn't even twitch after they fell.

My friends also have 257 weatherbys using the 115 Berger. Here is their death toll with this bullet:

Dan's:
4 mule deer
6 elk

Allen's 257 5 coues wt

419yds,412yds,328yds and 276yds.

Tim's 257: 5 coues wt unknown distances except this past year's at 237 yds

Yes Bob deer , Sorry ! Should have mentioned that . Thanks

No problem. I hunt with the 257 WBY and most premium bullets will penetrate deer sometimes they have to slow down some in the case of NBT. When your impact velocities are high they don't hold together well but they anchor a deer.

Take a gander at the attached has some good info.

.25-06 Remington

I like the 115gr partition and tsx in my wby. The 115 vldh is similar in performance to the nbt.

I think I have a mental block about shooting deer with 100's (probably from my youth and my dad saying you have to shoot deer with 150's) but I am certain the 100's will work well.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I can tell that people probably have not shot many deer with a 25-06 when they start talking about needing a bullet to pass through so it leaves a blood trail so they can track a deer down after the shot. I have killed a few hundred deer with the 25-06 doing crop damage control and hunting with it over the past 25 years and no matter what bullet used from 100 to 120 gr if you put it into the vitals properly about 90% of the time it is BANG FLOP. Those that don't drop in their tracks usually don't go over 3 jumps before crashing. The two bullet that I have had exit best even at close range is the 115 Nosler partition and the 120 Speer Grand Slam. If I was ever to go after elk with my 25-06 it would be loaded with the 120 Grand Slam because while testing it on deer I shot a deer at 30 yards facing me in the chest. I found the bullet under the hide of the right ham after it smashed the ball socket and it was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. Deer droped in it's tracks. :D I have not used any of the 110 Nosler Accubonds in my 25-06 but from what I see of the 130 gr in my 264 win mag it would be an excellent penetrating deer killing bullet. My go to bullet for my 25-06 is the 117 Sierra Pro Hunter. It usually does not exit if you hit the shoulder inside 200 yards but it drops deer in it's tracks. It has slowed down enough past 200 yards to where it usually will exit.

I have personally seen an antelope and seven coues wt taken with the 115 Berger hybrid from a 257 weatherby. The antelope was 560 yds and one coues was 525 yds. ALL were pass throughs.

Granted the 25-06 would have the bullet going at a slower velocity but it will work just fine. Not only do these bullets pass through they devastate the animal with many DRTs. A few didn't even twitch after they fell.

My friends also have 257 weatherbys using the 115 Berger. Here is their death toll with this bullet:

Dan's:
4 mule deer
6 elk

Allen's 257 5 coues wt

419yds,412yds,328yds and 276yds.

Tim's 257: 5 coues wt unknown distances except this past year's at 237 yds

AZ, I use the Berger 115 VLD in my .257 Wbys. I am interested in finding the Berger 115 Hybrid bullet you mentioned. Where did you get them?

Like RT2506, I have taken at least 100 Texas whitetails with the 25-06, most with a 120 Speer BTSP. Few, if any, made it more than 25-30 yards after being hit in the right spot.
My first two elk were taken with the 25-06 using 120 gr partitions. Both dropped in their tracks from a neck shot.
I changed over to the 110 AB after having one of the Speers not pass through an Axis I shot. That deer made it 100 yards before dropping. Since using the AB's I've had 100 % pass through on the more than 30 whitetails and close to 50 axis I've taken with it. Many of the axis would live weigh 250 or more. Not a single one has made it more than 30-50 yards. Many of these were taken out at 3-450 yards.
Tried the Barnes and had some that just penciled through without expanding. Tried the Berger's and though they worked, I didn't always get two holes.
If I have to track an animal after the shot, I prefer to have more holes. Though, in my mind, the best tracking job is 3 feet straight down. :D

I appreciate the comments gentleman ! Trying to figure out what to load, 110 NAB sounding good ! May buy a box and see how they group in my gun .

This is a great thread with many fine bullets being mentioned.

Dosh I made a mistake. I am so used to mentioning hybrids I use with other rifles I inadvertently said hybrid instead of VLD. The 115 is a VLD not a hybrid. NO such thing. Sorry for the confusion.

This is a great thread with many fine bullets being mentioned.

Dosh I made a mistake. I am so used to mentioning hybrids I use with other rifles I inadvertently said hybrid instead of VLD. The 115 is a VLD not a hybrid. NO such thing. Sorry for the confusion.

AZ, darn I was excited about a new Berger in .25 cal. Thought you had an "in" with Berger to try new bullets. Another .25 from Berger would be like Hillary liking guns!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.