Looking for pass through

To be fair, I have been more than satisfied with my CZ 6.5x55's performance using Hornady Interlock 140gr and Federal Fusion 140gr, Norma Oryx 156gr.
Most, if not all bullets would give good results if bullet placed correctly.
So why do we all have our personal and different choices?
Meat damage?
Exit holes?
Down-range terminal-performance?
BC?
SD? (Swede)
Price?
Barrel / Bullet compatibility?
Sentimental?
Loyalty eg, I would not buy "made in N Korea / China" LOL

Last edited:
I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
I have been using Hornady 140gr.sp interlock bullets out of my Swede for years no tracking needed.I call them instant death lol.pass through is no problem.

I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
I used NABs on my 6.5x55 Swede and all my harvests have exit holes.
I do not have the same issues as you are experiencing. The next time I reload for my 6.5x55, it will be the 156 Berger for the max energy dump; no exit wound required.
What are the specs on your barrel/rifle. I'm running a 22" 8T and am concerned about being able to push them fast enough.
Mine has an 18" barrel and all shots under 400Y.
I just found my 140 NAB load, and at 400Y, it has 1988 FPS and 1229 FT-LBS; not fast but has plenty of impact velocity for the bullet to expand effectively and impact energy for an exit. All shots were at the lung/heart area. I started sons (now 31 and 33) with this rifle, and we harvested a few WT/ muleys from AZ, NM, and MT with the same load. Good luck on your quest for the right bullet for your intended purpose.

Yes 139 in my 6.5x55, currently loading up some 108s in 6.5GR and the Swede to see how they perform.
I have NEVER seen such accuracy as I did with Scenar 139gr in my 6.5x55 at 100 and 250mtrs, but have never hunted with them.
A lot of hunters rave about them (incl in S Africa) but many are against using a match bullet on game. I am afraid to put it to the test, but if I do, it will only be on smaller game such as springbok which are probably a bit smaller than pronghorn...I ALWAYS (OK 90%) shoot double-lung...

They still go and stay down on a shoulder shot. I've seen them run off from bad hits with a 7mag and 36-06's. Stuff happens even with the best bullets.
That's why I use the .35 Whelen with the Sierra 225 grain Gameking and load it for about 2750fps. Any hit in the chest cavity leaves a 2 1/2 inch sucking chest wound and collapsed lungs. If you want better with the 6.5, shoot the Speer or Sierra 140 grain bullets and you'll get pass throughs. Mass and weight will give you that. The 140 grain Gold Dot is around $44.00 a hundred and will do what you want with a BC of .57, or go with the original 140 grain Hotcor, which is also bonded because of its method of construction although its not advertised as such, with a BC of .405 and a cost of about $34/100. Either will do what you want, and so will the Grand Slam speer bullet, at the same cost as the Gold Dot, but with a BC of .498. I've found the Speer bullets to perform quite well, with higher BC's than Hornaday and higher than some Nosler Bt (BC .505) and Sierra bullets (GK 140gr with a BC or .49, tipped GK 140 at BC of .563)of the same weight. Since you will get around 2700fps from the 140's, you probably don't need the more pricey bonded and mono bullets, and they may be counter productive. But Nosler has a lineup of 140 grain and heavier bonded or mono bullets which will fit the bill.

I would suggest a copper bullet from Barnes. They mushroom, stay together, and I have always had a good exit wound and blood trail.

I have NEVER seen such accuracy as I did with Scenar 139gr in my 6.5x55 at 100 and 250mtrs, but have never hunted with them.
A lot of hunters rave about them (incl in S Africa) but many are against using a match bullet on game. I am afraid to put it to the test, but if I do, it will only be on smaller game such as springbok which are probably a bit smaller than pronghorn...I ALWAYS (OK 90%) shoot double-lung...
The closest shot on a deer was about 75 yds and that Scenar punched without blowing apart clean exit hole hit part of the shoulder blade going in. Fluke? Don't know but it held up from my observation.

I would like to hear more on the 140gr Speer Gold Dot performance you observed, my son and a friend both took mule deer bucks this season and both were pass throughs, one in the crease and the other in the thick of the neck. Both deer were in the 300 yard range and taken with a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Speer Gold dot 140gr RL26 2850+FPS
3yr old Deer quartering to me at 157yds bullet found in flank weighing 107gr. 28+" of penetration.

Attachments

• 0604A757-CD6E-47B4-AA49-0CEF0DC86D51.jpeg
    0604A757-CD6E-47B4-AA49-0CEF0DC86D51.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Speer Gold dot 140gr RL26 2850+FPS
3yr old Deer quartering to me at 157yds bullet found in flank weighing 107gr. 28+" of penetration.
Thank you for that, overall doesn't look to bad and 76% of retained weight after 28+" is as good as you'll find in a non mono bullet. I've been shooting that bullet at 2800fps over RL16. Thanks again.

Thank you for that, overall doesn't look to bad and 76% of retained weight after 28+" is as good as you'll find in a non mono bullet. I've been shooting that bullet at 2800fps over RL16. Thanks again.
For what you want to do and the cartridge you're shooting you don't really need a mono bullet or a bonded bullet either. You just need heavy for caliber. Greater density and mass will get you good exit wounds.

Recent Posts