Looking for load data for 1:8 twist ar15

savatage

I`m waiting on delivery of a new DPMS AR15 Prairie Panther .223/556 . It comes with a 20"heavy fluted barrel,free float hand guard,and match trigger, has a 1:8 twist as well . Question for the 1:8 twist ? I`ve had 1:9 twist 16" brl and shot 55-69 grain bullets very well .I see sierra has the 77gr mk tipped bullet .nosler 70gr rdf bullet .Also hornady`s 75 gr v max looks good and there eld even better . Powders I have varget,benchmark. Wanting these for 500-800 yd steel.Plus need a good `yote bullet for the 8 twist.Any insight here would be valued. Thanks Gary

Last edited:
The 53gr vmax is a good one for shorter range yotes if your gun likes them. The 60gr for a little more punch. My 8 twist AR has taken a back seat to other projects lately.
Edit: H4895 shows promise in mine.

Your going to have to read between the lines of the 1 in 9 twist and 1 in 7 twist load data.

Forgive my twisted humor, "BUT" a workup load will tell you a great deal about "your" rifle.

I haven't got a chance to get up into the heavies for 223 in mine yet. There aren't many that an 8 twist won't stabilize though. GO BLUE!

I just built a rifle using a 1/8 20" Faxon barrel. I went with Varget and Hornady 75gr BTHP. In load development I was getting great accuracy. I just had my shoulder worked on so I didn't finish but 23.5 grains looked to be my best accuracy. If you want to go 800 yards I would look at the 68 grainers and above.

Try a 75 or 77 grain match bullet at ~2.250" to 2.255" on top of 23.6 grains of 8208xbr in lake city brass with a cci200. This works excellent in every 8 twist I've ran them in. I prefer the 75 Hornady BTHP though.

I`m waiting on delivery of a new DPMS AR15 Prairie Panther .223/556 . It comes with a 20"heavy fluted barrel,free float hand guard,and match trigger, has a 1:8 twist as well . Question for the 1:8 twist ? I`ve had 1:9 twist 16" brl and shot 55-69 grain bullets very well .I see sierra has the 77gr mk tipped bullet .nosler 70gr rdf bullet .Also hornady`s 75 gr v max looks good and there eld even better . Powders I have varget,benchmark. Wanting these for 500-800 yd steel.Plus need a good `yote bullet for the 8 twist.Any insight here would be valued. Thanks Gary

My experience so far,,, dont go over 69 grainers with the 1-8
75 Vmax did you mean 75 AMAX?
For heavier bullets 1-7 twist if you need 1moa and under...
For yotes 40 grain vmax and such,,,, pushed as fast as you can,,, most times will not leave an exit hole and provide a flop dead kill

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/222-remington/

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/223-remington/

Last edited:
My experience so far,,, dont go over 69 grainers with the 1-8
75 Vmax did you mean 75 AMAX?
For heavier bullets 1-7 twist if you need 1moa and under...

Care to elaborate? I've launched thousands of 75 and 77 grainers through 8 twist match grade barrels and I routinely achieve sub MOA without a problem.

Care to elaborate? I've launched thousands of 75 and 77 grainers through 8 twist match grade barrels and I routinely achieve sub MOA without a problem.

barrel lenght ? bolt gun

Even nosler tested the 69 70 75 77 80 grain in a pacnor 20" 1-7 twist

I would have to see it to believe it,,,, not just talk it !

Last edited:
Just got back from my local reloading store . After calling and talking to a hornady staffer .Told him my gun and he said that my 1:8 twist would not stabilize the 75 gr eld. To go with 73 gr eld or there 68 gr bthp . Anyway I picked up a box of nosler 70 gr rfd ,thats all they had in the heavies. I`m going to use varget .But I need the gun to show up 1st...Anyone use the nosler 70`rfd`s yet in there ar 15 ?

Just got back from my local reloading store . After calling and talking to a hornady staffer .Told him my gun and he said that my 1:8 twist would not stabilize the 75 gr eld. To go with 73 gr eld or there 68 gr bthp . Anyway I picked up a box of nosler 70 gr rfd ,thats all they had in the heavies. I`m going to use varget .But I need the gun to show up 1st...Anyone use the nosler 70`rfd`s yet in there ar 15 ?

Yep need a 1-7 twist for best out come ..... you be better off with the 68 BTHP

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.