Looking for load data for 1:8 twist ar15

barrel lenght ? bolt gun

Even nosler tested the 69 70 75 77 80 grain in a pacnor 20" 1-7 twist

I would have to see it to believe it,,,, not just talk it !

I run Semi auto ARs 16 and 18 inch. I'll take one of my Wyldes out tomorrow afternoon and print a few groups with 75 Hornady BTHPs

BTW I believe Nosler too. They recommend 7 or 8 twist for their 77s

Attachments

• 20170314_212626.jpg
    20170314_212626.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
gj,,,,,,go over to ar15.com with all your negative BS man. Get over yourself. JUST SAY~N

I am not trying to be negative , just trying to save this guy some time and money by sending him in a better direction.

Wish i had had the same advantage before i bought ,,,500 73 grain elds,,, none of my ARs i am taking hunting P-dogs are 1-7 ,,,, 2 are 1-9 and 1 is 1-8 and my 1-8 hates the 73 grainer ELDs...

The only bright spot might be my Daniel Defense 1-7 havent tryed it yet.....

There are always anomalies.... for example .... my .223 26 inch 1-9 bolt savage competition target model was NOT supposed to stabilize the Hornady 75 grain A max but it did,,, that is if you call 2.5 inch 5 shot groups at 500 yards good some would some wouldnt,,,, I say its just ok but not great !!!!

I am not trying to be negative , just trying to save this guy some time and money by sending him in a better direction.

Wish i had had the same advantage before i bought ,,,500 73 grain elds,,, none of my ARs i am taking hunting P-dogs are 1-7 ,,,, 2 are 1-9 and 1 is 1-8 and my 1-8 hates the 73 grainer ELDs...

The only bright spot might be my Daniel Defense 1-7 havent tryed it yet.....

There are always anomalies.... for example .... my .223 26 inch 1-9 bolt savage competition target model was NOT supposed to stabilize the Hornady 75 grain A max but it did,,, that is if you call 2.5 inch 5 shot groups at 500 yards good some would some wouldnt,,,, I say its just ok but not great !!!!

You're basing your entire argument off your experience with one bullet in one barrel? Hmmmmm...

I guess I'll take it for what it's worth.. :rolleyes:

You're basing your entire argument off your experience with one bullet in one barrel? Hmmmmm...

I guess I'll take it for what it's worth.. :rolleyes:

No,,, one bullet in six different barrels and six different ARs to date....
3- 1-7...16 "

1-1-8...16"

2-1-9...20 " & 24"

Last edited:
No one bullet in six different barrels and six different ARs to date....
3- 1-7...16 "

1-1-8...16"

2-1-9...20 " & 24"

If you can't get the one bullet you tested to shoot in any of your ARs, some of which are 7 twist barrels, how are you concluding that 70+ grain bullets won't stabilize or shoot MOA or less in 8 twist barrels when your argument is based on one bullet tested in one 8 twist barrel?

If you can't get the one bullet you tested to shoot in any of your ARs, some of which are 7 twist barrels, how are you concluding that 70+ grain bullets won't stabilize or shoot MOA or less in 8 twist barrels when your argument is based on one bullet tested in one 8 twist barrel?

brentc:

They may stabilize but would you call a 1.250 shot group Good ?

or just under 1 3/8 5 shot group good ?

I dont,,,,i put the remainder up for sale,,,, if you interested and think these are wonderful bullets !

Myself i am not playing with them anymore,,,, to much to recover from and no time to do it !

If i want long range accuracy i will stick to the 60 grainers... i am getting under 1/2 " accuracy with them ..... in four out of the 6 same guns. And just like Hornady told me i would.....

Last edited:
brentc:

They may stabilize but would you call a 1.250 shot group Good ?

or just under 1 3/8 5 shot group good ?

I dont,,,,i put the remainder up for sale,,,, if you interested and think these are wonderful bullets !

Myself i am not playing with them anymore,,,, to much to recover from and no time to do it !

If i want long range accuracy i will stick to the 60 grainers... i am getting under 1/2 " accuracy with them ..... in four out of the 6 same guns. And just like Hornady told me i would.....

I let others determine whether your arguments qualify your claim, but I've pretty much determined how I feel about it. That said, I've never used the 73 grain ELD so I don't know how well suited they are in the AR platform. I can testify that after thousands of rounds fired from several 8 twist AR barrels, that the 75 grain Hornady BTHP, 77 grain Nosler CC, and the 77 grain SMK will in fact stabilize in a 1:8 twist AR barrel. Some barrels may be more precise than others, but that is more due to barrel and/or ammunition quality than twist rate. I know this because the same precision differences are common in 7 twist barrels known to stabilize heavy bullets.

When it comes to trial and error in reloading, there is no free ride. If it doesn't work, change one thing at a time until you get your desired result. It could be something as simple as +/-.2 grains of powder charge, a different powder, .005" of seating depth, or even a different primer that brings your 1.25" group down to .5 MOA. If you've done all of these things and still haven't obtained noteworthy results, then it's time to move on to a different bullet.

Thanks for the input...Positive along with the not so much .As stated , I purchased the 70gr nosler . 100 ct .Would have bought the 69 gr sierra mk tipped,and 73gr hornady`s as well if they had them .I will know in a few days if I grabbed a good bullet for my new gun. To me its part of the fun , bullet,powder,primer,brass,seating depth, ect .5 shot groups with different drops/5 for me so 25 rounds per test.At different distances to validate . In my opening post,I mentioned my 9 twist 16" bull bl ar15 with 69gr match ammo shot very well. This 8 twist should like the 69 `s 70`s and 73`s .One never knows until you do your part.Thats the bottom line for longrange accuracy .I have a savage model 12 bvss 22-250 that shoots lights out very tiny holes,either 50 or 55 grain hornady likes em both. .Along with my model 12 308 also very fun/accurate. I bang steel way out with that one .
For my `yote bullet,I will be trying 55gr and 60 gr both will be hornady.

Thanks for the input...Positive along with the not so much .As stated , I purchased the 70gr nosler . 100 ct .Would have bought the 69 gr sierra mk tipped,and 73gr hornady`s as well if they had them .I will know in a few days if I grabbed a good bullet for my new gun. To me its part of the fun , bullet,powder,primer,brass,seating depth, ect .5 shot groups with different drops/5 for me so 25 rounds per test.At different distances to validate . In my opening post,I mentioned my 9 twist 16" bull bl ar15 with 69gr match ammo shot very well. This 8 twist should like the 69 `s 70`s and 73`s .One never knows until you do your part.Thats the bottom line for longrange accuracy .I have a savage model 12 bvss 22-250 that shoots lights out very tiny holes,either 50 or 55 grain hornady likes em both. .Along with my model 12 308 also very fun/accurate. I bang steel way out with that one .
For my `yote bullet,I will be trying 55gr and 60 gr both will be hornady.

I bought some Brazilian made ammo with 77 grain sierra match hollow points that shot between 1/2 to 3/4 " avg out of my DDm4V5..

Do you keep yote pelts or let them lay ?

I run Semi auto ARs 16 and 18 inch. I'll take one of my Wyldes out tomorrow afternoon and print a few groups with 75 Hornady BTHPs

BTW I believe Nosler too. They recommend 7 or 8 twist for their 77s

So brentc, what where your results ???

So brentc, what where your results ???

A little chilly at 9°, but I managed to put together a decent group.

5 shots to the berm at 330 yards

.223 Wylde, 18" Seekins/Rock Creek 8 twist, 75 Hornady BTHP

Attachments

• 20170315_202146.jpg
    20170315_202146.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 144
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.