Looking for Load Data for .280 with 168 Berger

DZelenka

I am looking for load data for a standard .280 with the 168 Berger VLD hunting bullet. Any data would be good. Data for Reloder 22 would be even better. What works? What kind of speed and accuracy are you getting?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I shoot a 280! I shoot a 280! It's my primary carry-rifle for deer hunting.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

Load data might be included on that thread. Can't exactly remember. Off the top of my head though, I shoot the 168vld with 56grains H4831 lit by a Winchester primer. I get 2780fps with that load out of a 24" barrel.

A buddy of mine shoots the 180grain Berger hybrids in his 284win and he loads it with some amount of H4350 and gets outstanding velocities (can't recall right now though). Suffice to say that his results have me thinking of redeveloping my load with H4350.

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the Reloder powders as they are not very temp stable whereas the Hodgdon powders are.

I shoot a 280! I shoot a 280! It's my primary carry-rifle for deer hunting.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

Load data might be included on that thread. Can't exactly remember. Off the top of my head though, I shoot the 168vld with 56grains H4831 lit by a Winchester primer. I get 2780fps with that load out of a 24" barrel.

A buddy of mine shoots the 180grain Berger hybrids in his 284win and he loads it with some amount of H4350 and gets outstanding velocities (can't recall right now though). Suffice to say that his results have me thinking of redeveloping my load with H4350.

Generally speaking, I am not a fan of the Reloder powders as they are not very temp stable whereas the Hodgdon powders are.

You provided a load with 56.2 gr of H4831sc for 2850 fps.

The Reloder powders don't worry me. I have shot alot of RL15 in my service rifles. The big matches for those are no sighter out to 600 yards. Solid zeros and consistent ammunition if really important if you want ot do well.

The H4831sc looks really good and I will likely get some. Typically, of the dozens of different powders in my inventory. it is not one of them.

If you have any more loads, I would be interested in hearing about them. I have been shooting this rifle since 1988 and have a few consistent loads, mostly with IMR4350 and RL22 with 140s.

Dan

Pretty much all the load data I have is on my 280 thread. I tried shooting various 140 and 150 grain bullets with various success. Once I found the 168vld, it's the only bullet I shoot in the rifle. Pushing the 168 ~2800fps, it's capable of killing deer at 1000yards. The rifle isn't really set up to shoot that far, but it's nice to know it at least has the juice to do it.

As I said earlier, the primary purpose for this rifle is as a carry rifle for deer. So really the 168 isn't necessary as the rifle will primary engage deer at 200yards or less. (shot a deer at 20 yards this past year. it was like the deer was hit by a sledgehammer!)

Here's a good online resource for load data: 284_1

Mine is set up similar to yours and is used for the same basic purpose. The latest scope on it is a Leupold 3.5-10X40 CDS with CDS windage turret added. The load I have been shooting most recently is a 140 AccuBond over 54.3gr of IMR4350 in a WW case w/ PMC LR primer. It goes around 2900 fps and I have used the load on 11 deer in the last 2 years from 90 to 419 yards.

While I am satisfied with the 140 AB load, I happen to have a couple boxes of 168 VLD Hunting bullets left over from my 7mm SAUM project and thought that the .280 would be a great use for them. I also ordered a Leupold 4.5-14X40 CDS with CDS windage for the rifle and shimmed the rear base to provide an additional 10 MOA of elevation.

Where are you seating your 168s?

Dan

I also shoot a 280, it's a great deer/antelope rifle! I have taken them out just past 525 yards or so with this rifle and 150 BT. I am also planning on moving up to the 168 VLD's. I just need to find time to develop a load.

Mine is set up similar to yours and is used for the same basic purpose. The latest scope on it is a Leupold 3.5-10X40 CDS with CDS windage turret added. The load I have been shooting most recently is a 140 AccuBond over 54.3gr of IMR4350 in a WW case w/ PMC LR primer. It goes around 2900 fps and I have used the load on 11 deer in the last 2 years from 90 to 419 yards.

While I am satisfied with the 140 AB load, I happen to have a couple boxes of 168 VLD Hunting bullets left over from my 7mm SAUM project and thought that the .280 would be a great use for them. I also ordered a Leupold 4.5-14X40 CDS with CDS windage for the rifle and shimmed the rear base to provide an additional 10 MOA of elevation.

Where are you seating your 168s?

Dan

Chamber in my rifle is SAAMI spec and I load ammo so that it will fit in the stock magazine well. So bullets are seated .005 or .010 off the lands (sorry I can't remember exactly)

Trebark,

I finally got to the range to shoot those 168s out of my .280. 56.0 gr of H4831 gave me a .9" group at 100 yards and a 1.25" group at 200 yards. (the 100 yard group was from a clean barrel). Very promising. If the weather holds, I am going to shoot some more of them in the morning.

Since I had already loaded a pressure test with 2 rounds each of RL22 from 55.0 to 57.0, I decided to shoot them. Every pair was under an inch at 100 yards with 55.5 gr going into .4" and 56.5 gr running .6". I loaded some more of each of those loads to test tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my shooting partner forgot his chronograph (mine is on the fritz) so I don't have any data.

In spite of the 85 degree temperatures, none of the loads experienced any signs of pressure.

Dan

With 56 grains of 4831 those 168s are going 2700+. Were your groups nice and symmetrical? Mine generally shoots two right together and the third off to one side. You should be able to fine tune your accuracy by adjusting seating depth.

to throw a wrench in the works....a buddy of mine just built a 284win. He shoots the 180berger hybrids with ~56grain of H4350 and gets velocities similar to the 168s in my rifle (2780). So now I'm wondering if I should go back and redevelop the load with 4350 (it is a faster burning powder than 4831). Could mean 2900 is a possibility!! It's more velocity than I need, but nice to know you have it if you need it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.