Looking for load data for 1:8 twist ar15

A little chilly at 9°, but I managed to put together a decent group.

5 shots to the berm at 330 yards

.223 Wylde, 18" Seekins/Rock Creek 8 twist, 75 Hornady BTHP

Can i ask why you didnt shoot those @ 100 yards ?

Can i ask why you didnt shoot those @ 100 yards ?

To prove a point. No seriously, though.

The purpose of my trip was to range tune the new Vortex AMG on my 300 WM. The AR was a tag along. I fired it between 5 shot strings from the WM.

The purpose of my trip was to range tune the new Vortex AMG on my 300 WM. The AR was a tag along. I fired it between 5 shot strings from the WM.
Did you receive a message from me about testing the ELD -M ?

Good shooting brentc, and (I like the 1st part of your answer). 1/2 moa with an ar is very good in my world pal. Did I say good shooting brentc ?

Good shooting brentc, and (I like the 1st part of your answer). 1/2 moa with an ar is very good in my world pal. Did I say good shooting brentc ?

I wish the 300 WM group on the other half of the target was in the .5s. I was having a heck of a time getting a good bipod preload in the snow for the first couple shots. By the time I got to the AR I had it worked out.

I understand completely. Having your bi pod load up is tough when its that cold off snow . We have had -5 and -2 degrees the last 2 mornings.
Got my new DPMS Prairie Panther after work today . Cant wait to shoot it.Hopefully will make some time this weekend .Will post some pics and of my initial targets.

Savatage,
every weekend, tens of thousands of rounds are fired by service rifle shooters with 1:8 twist barrels @ 20". The vast majority of shooters shoot 77gr at 300 & 400yds and 80gr Matchkings or Bergers at 600yds. National titles have been won with this combo.
The lightest bullet I purchase for my hunting rifle is the 65gr Sierra Gameking. I seat it over 25gr of H4895 with a cci or den 7 1/2 primer. It shoots 3050fps through a 24" White Oak upper and shoots under 1/2 moa all day everyday from a biPod.
If your shooting a short barrel you might want to stick to the slightly faster powder for the bullet weight you choose.
Pretty good resource is AccurateShooter.com. Read the .223 section carefully or print it off and use as reference. Also, read John Hollingers favorite pet loads. Remember, many of these guys shoot 5-10,000 rounds of competitive .223 rounds per year. They know what works.

Good luck,

BG

Savatage,
every weekend, tens of thousands of rounds are fired by service rifle shooters with 1:8 twist barrels @ 20". The vast majority of shooters shoot 77gr at 300 & 400yds and 80gr Matchkings or Bergers at 600yds. National titles have been won with this combo.
The lightest bullet I purchase for my hunting rifle is the 65gr Sierra Gameking. I seat it over 25gr of H4895 with a cci or den 7 1/2 primer. It shoots 3050fps through a 24" White Oak upper and shoots under 1/2 moa all day everyday from a biPod.
If your shooting a short barrel you might want to stick to the slightly faster powder for the bullet weight you choose.
Pretty good resource is AccurateShooter.com. Read the .223 section carefully or print it off and use as reference. Also, read John Hollingers favorite pet loads. Remember, many of these guys shoot 5-10,000 rounds of competitive .223 rounds per year. They know what works.

Good luck,

BG

Roger That

I shoot lots of 77SMKs out of my 8 twist MK12 with no issues at all. Varget and loaded to mag length shoots around .4 at 100, and sub MOA out to 600. Thats in an 18" BBL

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts