Looking for input: long range hunting scope

Jeremybj

Afternoon to all,

I am having a custom 7mm STW rifle built for me for the upcoming season, specs are as following:

Stiller Predator long action
Manners EH1
Proof Research 26" Sendero contour
Factory BDL bottom metal

My theme for this rifle is "light weight - do all"

I am thinking I will come in right under 7 pounds for the bare rifle. I also have a SilencerCo Harvester suppressor that I can run on the gun(where legal and where terrain/logistics allow)

I hunting Wyoming, Montana, and western South Dakota for the most part. I have definitely put in some miles with my boots on my DIY hunts, so I don't want something that is gonna weigh me a down.

I am looking for a rifle scope that will allow me to stretch my gun out when I want to, something in that 15 or so top range. I was looking at a Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50, but at 30 oz, shes a heavy girl. Nightforce SHV 4-14x56 is another option at 27 ounces. My other thought was a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 M1, and at 22oz it is more manageable. I also like the eye relief of the Mark 4 4.5-14x50.

Does anybody have any other suggestions or recommendations for me? I'm open to about anything.

Jeremy

Sounds like you've done your homework. I Think there are better long range scopes but not at that weight.

Pretty tough to come in under 7 lbs. I'll look forward to seeing it when you're done

Just a comment to shave a bit more weight. You might want to consider the PT&G aluminum bottom metal in lieu of the factory BDL stuff. It'll save a few ounces and is nice stuff to boot. I have it on two different rifles.

The 7 pounds is a stretch, but I figure 2 pounds action and base, 3 pounds barrel, and 1.75 pounds for the stock. So it will be close.

I was gonna do a proof research sendero light, but Mike from proof advised to go with the heavier sendero contour because I plan on running a suppressor sometimes and the heavier contour will minimize poi shift when switching between can and no can.

So the heavier contour cost me 5oz, but I guess its probably ounces well spent.

IMO, your Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 M1, and at 22oz is about as light as you'll find for what you want to use it for and it's a good choice. Even the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 is nearly that "heavy" and an ounce or two in either direction isn't a big deal when making a scope decision.

I have two Zeiss Conquests and love them. If you are looking to save weight, they will come in around 17 ounces. The tradeoff is they only have around 42 MOA of total adjustment. Some of the bigger, heavier scopes have about twice that (or more). It all depends on intended max hunting range. Since the 7 STW shoots pretty flat, you may decide you don't need as much adjustment. It's a personal judgment call.

I have the following Zeiss Conquest on a .264 Win Mag. It is currently on sale:

Zeiss MC Conquest Rifle Scope 4.5-14x 44mm Side Focus Rapid Z 800

I was looking at a scope for target turrets.

I'm just not a fan of using reticle holdovers to take long shots as it always seems like I'm shooting at 3-4 power. Most of my shots are 250-300 yards and I like being on lower power so I can find the critter in my reticle again if he is running and I need to send a little more love his way.

If I was to go with a reticle for holdovers I would probably get a Swarovski Z3 as the gun shop I work at is a dealer and I can get a little bit of a deal.

Also on the Mark 4, I get LEO pricing, so it isn't quite as expensive as advertised.

+1 for leupold. I think a vx-3 would be a great choice also. Plus, you could shave a few more ounces. I've had nothing but excellent experiences with vx-3's as an all around hunting scope out to 1,000.

After literally bending a VX-3 on a mountain goat hunt, I have no problem carrying the extra weight of NF scopes! Just do a nightforce and be done with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.