Looking for a long range scope

Ron J

Right now I'm looking at a nightforce's "Nightforce NXS 5.5-22ZS". I like the reticle (HV.5)
Power: 5.5-22ZS
Objective lens: 56
FOV @ 100yrds: 17.5-4.7

Can anyone explain the FOV?

So, what do you think, should I go with this scope or can You give me some better choices with this reticle

Thanks in advance

RJ

Attachments

• nightforce_moar.jpg
    nightforce_moar.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 132
Thank You NWmissouriman..

So, Is it a good Long Range Scope?

I think it's a very good long range scope. I've got the 3.5-15x50 on my AR and the ATACR on my 7mm and I couldn't be more satisfied I don't think. As others will say, they are heavy, buy they are durable and dependable.

Ron... some might disagree with me on this because they may complain that the recticle gets too large when magnified, however, I will never buy another SFP scope again. I have a ton of them and this year... finally dropped the money on a good FFP scope. I wish I had done it years ago.

For me, FFP is the answer to accurate ranging and I couldn't be more happy with it. I debated the extra cost for more than a decade and after getting one, I'd be tempted to sell off the rest of my scopes and get a couple more. I went initially with a Vortex Razor, but I walk quite a bit when I hunt and it was just downright heavy. I sold it and went with a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6.5-24x50 Mrad. I looked at Leupys and Bushys (love Bushys LOL) and thought about Nightforce, US Optics, Valdada, & Scmidt & Bender. I think it's hard to go wrong with any of those in the upper tier, however, I'm very happy with the weight and quality of the PST. If I get another optic in the upcoming year... it will be the same scope that I purchased above.

Regardless of what works for me... if you are going to throw down that kind of cash... I would definitely sort out whether your an SPF or FFP guy. You'll be glad you did because that way, you'll be able to get exactly what you want... and not be wishing you went the other way.

Good luck!

Boss

Ron... some might disagree with me on this because they may complain that the recticle gets too large when magnified, however, I will never buy another SFP scope again. I have a ton of them and this year... finally dropped the money on a good FFP scope. I wish I had done it years ago.

For me, FFP is the answer to accurate ranging and I couldn't be more happy with it. I debated the extra cost for more than a decade and after getting one, I'd be tempted to sell off the rest of my scopes and get a couple more. I went initially with a Vortex Razor, but I walk quite a bit when I hunt and it was just downright heavy. I sold it and went with a Vortex Viper PST FFP 6.5-24x50 Mrad. I looked at Leupys and Bushys (love Bushys LOL) and thought about Nightforce, US Optics, Valdada, & Scmidt & Bender. I think it's hard to go wrong with any of those in the upper tier, however, I'm very happy with the weight and quality of the PST. If I get another optic in the upcoming year... it will be the same scope that I purchased above.

Regardless of what works for me... if you are going to throw down that kind of cash... I would definitely sort out whether your an SPF or FFP guy. You'll be glad you did because that way, you'll be able to get exactly what you want... and not be wishing you went the other way.

Good luck!

Boss

Thank You Boss!! I'm still up in the air about the difference between the FFP or the SPF. I need to get to the range and find someone with each and test them out. When looking through either scope at Cabela's by just holding them in my hand, you don't get a good feel for either.... I've been reading a lot more on FFP. I'm worried that with my eyes as bad as they are I'm afraid I will loose the MOA's in the retical. But I can see there would be a distinctive advantage using an FFP. Laying down 2K for a scope and not be the one I want would really be an *** kicker.

Thanks for the advice.... This will take some serious thought as to what I'm looking thru.

Thanks Again,
Ron

You bet Ron. Glad it's something you've decided to figure out for yourself. I'm just lucky you knew what I was taking about because I noticed that I had a typo at the bottom and had SPF lol.... Not sure what protection from the sun has to do with buying a scope... Lol... But it did make me chuckle when I noticed my error a moment ago :D

Good luck!

I am a SFP guy and don't think I could get along with a FFP. but then, you heard the man, he feels opposite. I like the ability to crank my eye piece and, since I hunt skittish white tails and don't always have time to dial I like to use my reticle.

+1 for FFP reticles. I have both kinds, and even have scopes with both kinds in one scope (Shepherd). Aside from price difference in some product lines, I can't see any advantage to second plane scopes with a graduated reticle. FFP is good to go at any magnification setting, for long shots, the details are all there, and for short shots dialed down, you don't need the details right then.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.