Looking for comments on Leupold Impact-29 reticle

rakkikoira

I am interested in Leupold VX-5HD. A couple of times now I have been caught with a coyote at 300+ yds, another at 100 yds, and suddenly one at 50+ yds. There is no time for knob twisting. I am wondering if the dots in the field on the Impact-29 for holding off are better the just using the where the hash marks intercept of a simple MOA/MIL reticle. Do the Impact-29 dots disappear in all of the excitement or early morning light? I have managed to get two of the three runners but never all three.

Plan on putting this on a .223 AR-15hhh

Any comments appreciated.

Rakkikoira

I am interested in Leupold VX-5HD. A couple of times now I have been caught with a coyote at 300+ yds, another at 100 yds, and suddenly one at 50+ yds. There is no time for knob twisting. I am wondering if the dots in the field on the Impact-29 for holding off are better the just using the where the hash marks intercept of a simple MOA/MIL reticle. Do the Impact-29 dots disappear in all of the excitement or early morning light? I have managed to get two of the three runners but never all three.

Plan on putting this on a .223 AR-15hhh

Any comments appreciated.

Rakkikoira
So here's the problem.

That impact 29 reticle, like any reticle with built in subtentions is only accurate at one magnification in an sfp optic. The vx5 is only available in sfp. So, your reticle is only useful at full magnification. It's not a good combination. Thr reticle is awesome, and so is the moa 60, which is the moa version of the same reticle more or less. The mark V is similar money, and the same level of glass. With one of those reticles you could achieve what you're discussing at any magnification that suits you.

When I started we only had second focal plain scopes to work with and we also only had fixed power scopes so not so many options or the associated confusion . Things in this area have gotten much better .

When I started we only had second focal plain scopes to work with and we also only had fixed power scopes so not so many options or the associated confusion . Things in this area have gotten much better .
My first scope was a 6x fixed power Weaver. I still say it was the best scope I ever owned. I kept it on my '06 for 24 years before it fogged up. Was good in the early morning and late evening too, but then, my eyes were better back then as well.

I like Leupolds Varmint Hunter reticle. If you buy a SFP scope with this type reticle all you need to do is shoot it at different ranges using the differing aim points to learn where to hold. I made a cheat sheet for mine.

You can use the magnification to change POI too. On my 22-250 with a 200 yard zero my 55gr reloads are dead on at 400 yards at 20X using the 400 yard reticle. At 14X the 400 yard reticle is on at 470 yards.

So that reticle in SFP is only accurate at 3 magnification levels; minimum, middle and maximum. That will take some math on your part. I have that reticle and have had some great success both hunting and targets, targets out to 1550 yards! I have also had good luck ranging with that reticle. My problem with both the impact 29 and impact 32 is my older eyes could sure use an illuminated center dot on both of mine, pretty thin!! For that reason alone I have moved those scopes to target only rifles. Cheers, Jason

I have a leupold vx6hd with the impact 29 retical mounted on a sendero 7RUM I have not got try it at any real distance but so far I love it and it has illumination

So here's the problem.

That impact 29 reticle, like any reticle with built in subtentions is only accurate at one magnification in an sfp optic. The vx5 is only available in sfp. So, your reticle is only useful at full magnification. It's not a good combination. Thr reticle is awesome, and so is the moa 60, which is the moa version of the same reticle more or less. The mark V is similar money, and the same level of glass. With one of those reticles you could achieve what you're discussing at any magnification that suits you.
But with any ballistic program where you can configure your reticle, it will show you all the ranging variations at different magnifications. I use this feature with my XP100 to see what power the lines and grids line up on. So there is that.

But with any ballistic program where you can configure your reticle, it will show you all the ranging variations at different magnifications. I use this feature with my XP100 to see what power the lines and grids line up on. So there is that.
That's true for sure, but for a varmint hunter, especially with coyotes and cats, I never have that kind of time. I'm an ffp guy. When I've spent enough time with the same rifle/scope (which I admittedly don't do enough), I can make those quick adjustments without touching the turrets. When you know your reticle and your dope, you can range the critter, hold off and pull the trigger. It is by far the quickest way to get on fast moving predators.

Guys who do this really well will adjust their zero range to align their subtentions as closely as possible with even ranges.

In other words, maybe a 136y zero will put your first stadia line at 300y, and your second at 355y, and your 3rd at 399, so you have point and shoot marks from 100 to 400, give or take. Attempting to wrestle with your ballistics software while predator hunting will have you slow walking to the truck a whole lot.

Recent Posts