Looking for advice on which direction to go with my yote gun

GetReel

So, I have a Remington 700 VS 22-250 threaded with a suppressor. And at the range it's not a big deal but I HATE carrying that gun in the field hunting for critters up to coyote size game. It's so **** heavy and with the suppressor and an already long and heavy barrel, it's clumsy...

So here is my question. I want to do something different. I like my 22-250 but I want a gun I can develop around the suppressor that isn't clumsy as hell in the field. Would I be better off re-barreling my current gun or would I be better off buying/building a lighter/shorter 223? I only plan on shots out to 400 maybe 500 but that's it. Most would be within 300.

I have built two rifles specifically for suppressed coyote hunting. Both are buit on trued Remington 700 actions w/ B&C Alaskan Ti stocks to try to keep weight down. First one is a 22-250 A/I 20"bbl, 9 twist, .820 @ muzzle, it will shoot 55gr Nosler B/T @ just over 3700fps sub 1/2" groups. Second one is a 6mm A/I w/ a 22"bbl., 8 twist, .750 @ muzzle, It shoots the 87gr Berger HVLD's @ 3450fps, sub 1/2" groups as well. I was fighting the same problem w/ weight & length, until I built these two rifles & went to a Ti suppressor! I haven't looked back since!

Obviously you haven't lost any performance with a 20" barrel on your 22-250. So I might be better off just re-barreling the gun I got?
What should I be looking for in a shorter/lighter barrel? What twist? 50-55grain bullet.
I have a Specwar 556 suppressor.

I went w/ the Ackley Imp on both rifles to gain back the velocity loss of the shorter bbls. IMO, the 9" twist would do great w/ the 50 & 55gr bullets & you will have the option to shoot heaver bullets if you decide to. My first suppressor was a AAC Cyclone, great can but @ 28oz. I bought a Gem Tech Sandstorm Ti @ 12oz. it gave me the weight reduction I was looking for & I can use it on everything up to a 300WM!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.