Looking for advice on 300 Wea. build

JParker

I am in the process of having a 300 weatherby built primarily for elk hunting but will also be used for antelope and deer. I have a remington ss action to use as a donor, a hart #4 contour barrel 1-10 twist and a bell and carlson medalist on order. My questions are: should I get a wyatt extended mag box to seat heavy bullets out longer, should I have a brake installed and what make if so and what do you recommend for a finished barrel length with or with out brake. When I had my 340 weatherby it didnt wear a brake so it isnt required but man that wasnt a pleasant rifle to shoot from the bench.
Any recomendations from those that have or have had one would be appreciated.

I am in the process of having a 300 weatherby built primarily for elk hunting but will also be used for antelope and deer. I have a remington ss action to use as a donor, a hart #4 contour barrel 1-10 twist and a bell and carlson medalist on order. My questions are: should I get a wyatt extended mag box to seat heavy bullets out longer, should I have a brake installed and what make if so and what do you recommend for a finished barrel length with or with out brake. When I had my 340 weatherby it didnt wear a brake so it isnt required but man that wasnt a pleasant rifle to shoot from the bench.
Any recomendations from those that have or have had one would be appreciated.

First off excellent, excellent, choice in action and barrel. The Remington 700 action is #1 and Hart barrels are one of the best out there no matter what anyone else says. You may want to get an extended mag box, my Dad's .300 WBY is a Remington and he has to seat his 190gr SMKs pretty deep for them to fit. Depending on how heavy your finished rifle will be, you may want to consider a brak. Dad's .300 kicks like a mule because it only weighs 7lbs! Yours will surely be heavier and recoil will be milder. For barrel length, 27" or 28" will make maximum horsepower and velocity.

As soon as I get another 700 action, I will be turning my .300 Wby Sendero SF barrel into a .300 Ackley Magnum (fire-forms from full-length .300 Wby brass or .300 H&H brass).

As soon as I get another 700 action, I will be turning my .300 Wby Sendero SF barrel into a .300 Ackley Magnum (fire-forms from full-length .300 Wby brass or .300 H&H brass).

How much velocity do you gain going to the .300 Ackley Magnum? Sounds like an interesting cartridge.

How much velocity do you gain going to the .300 Ackley Magnum? Sounds like an interesting cartridge.

I'll ask my smith when I go pick up my .25-06 Ackley...He's had a .300 Ackley for many years. I'll be shooting Berger 210 VLD's out of it. Talked to him today and he said my .25-06 Ackley should be finished up really soon. He's a couple weeks behind because he's been sick, then got better, then got it again. That's what you call a tough break. LOL

Anyway, when I go pick it up, I'll ask him about his velocities. It should get a little more than the .300 Weatherby, hopefully around 100+ fps, because for starting loads you use .300 Wby starting loads and work up from there.

I'll ask my smith when I go pick up my .25-06 Ackley...He's had a .300 Ackley for many years. I'll be shooting Berger 210 VLD's out of it. Talked to him today and he said my .25-06 Ackley should be finished up really soon. He's a couple weeks behind because he's been sick, then got better, then got it again. That's what you call a tough break. LOL

Anyway, when I go pick it up, I'll ask him about his velocities. It should get a little more than the .300 Weatherby, hopefully around 100+ fps, because for starting loads you use .300 Wby starting loads and work up from there.

Ok sounds good. I thought it would be a good idea to make a .300 WBY Improved but that's what the .300 AI Magnum is haha. It would probably be equal to a .300 RUM but cool and unique and probably burns less powder. Look forward to hearing more about it!

Ok sounds good. I thought it would be a good idea to make a .300 WBY Improved but that's what the .300 AI Magnum is haha. It would probably be equal to a .300 RUM but cool and unique and probably burns less powder. Look forward to hearing more about it!

The sooner I get that other 700 magnum action from my buddy (he owes me money, so I'm getting it cheap instead of making him pay it back), the sooner I can get that build underway. :D

I'd skip all of the above and go with 300 Norma. It will become the next standard, great design, no belt, precision affordable brass, shorter oal so don't need monster magazines. Watch it take off.

The sooner I get that other 700 magnum action from my buddy (he owes me money, so I'm getting it cheap instead of making him pay it back), the sooner I can get that build underway. :D

Sounds like a good plan. I like your action choice!

My questions are: should I get a wyatt extended mag box to seat heavy bullets out longer, should I have a brake installed and what make if so and what do you recommend for a finished barrel length with or with out brake. When I had my 340 weatherby it didnt wear a brake so it isnt required

Yes in order to seat the extra heavy 30 cals and then with the brake get your barrel threaded and ask your smith for a flush brake that blends into the barrel. Then ask for a cap if you decide to take it off. I have heard of good things with a muscle brake and also the Vias brake. Although the Vias brake has ports in 360 degrees so it may spray dirt when shooting from the prone. With a 30 cal equivalent to a 300 RUM nothing less than a 26 inch tube. It depends on what you are comfortable with carrying. 28 to 30inch with a brake is optimal.

Sounds like a good plan. I like your action choice!

It's my only action choice, other than a custom. :D

I don't like Savage, Win 70, ruger 77, and mauser 98, and mauser-style actions. Seem cheap and clunky to me. I'll stick with my smooth 700's and Model 7 actions.

It's my only action choice, other than a custom. :D

I don't like Savage, Win 70, ruger 77, and mauser 98, and mauser-style actions. Seem cheap and clunky to me. I'll stick with my smooth 700's and Model 7 actions.

+1 Savages aren't bad, I just don't like the looks of them. I don't care for the design of Rugers and don't care for them at all! Winchesters are ok, but like other Mauser spin offs its square bottom receiver is inferior to the Remington. Mausers have their own place for me, but not in a full blown custom long range rifle. I'm currently building a .308 Norma on a Winchester made Model 1917 Enfield, which is nothing more than a beefed up Mauser. After the action is sporterized it looks a lot like an older Remington Model 721 but with a claw extractor. Yea its bulky and big, but it's smooth, very strong, and unique, just don't see them as much anymore. Its going to be an old meets new style of rifle. My next purchase, after building up more money working this summer, will be the new Remington Model 700 Long Range, really look forward to this one. Going to get it for a backup to my current build and plan on using it more as a tool than a delicate piece of craftsmanship haha.

After I get this magnum 700 action from my buddy, I think the next one will be built on a Defiance Deviant action. That gun will be my .280 Ackley Improved. Unless I come across another good deal on a 700 action that I can't pass up.

After I get this magnum 700 action from my buddy, I think the next one will be built on a Defiance Deviant action. That gun will be my .280 Ackley Improved. Unless I come across another good deal on a 700 action that I can't pass up.

Whats your plan for the .280 AI? Will it be a long range rig or more of a shorter ranged hunting rifle?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.