Looking for advice on 300 Wea. build

Thanks for the replies guys. My smith recommended a vias brake. Im thinking of going 26" on the barrel with the micro brake for a 27.5 finished length. thats as long as I think I really want in a hunting rifle. Or maybe go 25.5 on barrel and use the 2" brake. Not sure why I am so concerned about it but want it right i guess. I had them make me a 6.5-284 with a remington action and a #4 hart last year with a 26.5 inch barrel and after taking it goat hunting I took it back and had them take 2 inches off. I lost 54 fps but think the balance and handling of the rifle is much better. Im just thinking with the 300 with 200-210s in in that I actually need the longer barrel.
I wouldnt have to do 300 bee really ists just that I have dies and brass for one and can form left over 340 brass into more. I have dies and brass for 300 win, with this rifle started out as and for a 300 RUM from a previous rifle. Not to interested in this round however. I owned it proir to owning a chrony but my real world drops with its 26 inch tube were not where they should have been. Thinking for it to really shine it needs a longer barrel than I really want for a hunting rifle. What is the Norma Round someone spoke of? Also thinking that some day I may build a heavy rifle in 338 edge and use that brass.

Whats your plan for the .280 AI? Will it be a long range rig or more of a shorter ranged hunting rifle?
LR rig...

I'm thinking maybe:

Defiance Deviant action (cerakoted black) w/ stainless spiral-fluted bolt (stainless finish)

Bartlein stainless fluted 5R 1:9 Rem Varmint contour, finished @ 26" with VAIS radial brake w/ seamless finish & tight SAAMI chamber w/ 0.002" headspacing.

HS Precision Sendero stock (no palmswells) fully bedded, and barrel floated, of course...

stainless BDL setup (I don't like detachable mags for hunting rifles)

Vortex rings

Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP w/ XLR reticle

I forgot to add that I have been loading for my buddies 280 ackley. Very nice round very consistant and easy to load for but in his rifle at least it is running about 150 to 200 fps slower than my 7mm rem mags all with 168 berger vlds and 26 inch tubes. I would recommend trying imr 4350 in one if you get it put together. Also recommend nosler brass. My 2 cents I guess.

Thanks for the replies guys. My smith recommended a vias brake. Im thinking of going 26" on the barrel with the micro brake for a 27.5 finished length. thats as long as I think I really want in a hunting rifle. Or maybe go 25.5 on barrel and use the 2" brake. Not sure why I am so concerned about it but want it right i guess. I had them make me a 6.5-284 with a remington action and a #4 hart last year with a 26.5 inch barrel and after taking it goat hunting I took it back and had them take 2 inches off. I lost 54 fps but think the balance and handling of the rifle is much better. Im just thinking with the 300 with 200-210s in in that I actually need the longer barrel.
I wouldnt have to do 300 bee really ists just that I have dies and brass for one and can form left over 340 brass into more. I have dies and brass for 300 win, with this rifle started out as and for a 300 RUM from a previous rifle. Not to interested in this round however. I owned it proir to owning a chrony but my real world drops with its 26 inch tube were not where they should have been. Thinking for it to really shine it needs a longer barrel than I really want for a hunting rifle. What is the Norma Round someone spoke of? Also thinking that some day I may build a heavy rifle in 338 edge and use that brass.

Sounds like a great rifle. I would go with the 26" barrel though. Everything else sounds great.

LR rig...

I'm thinking maybe:

Defiance Deviant action (cerakoted black) w/ stainless spiral-fluted bolt (stainless finish)

Bartlein stainless fluted 5R 1:9 Rem Varmint contour, finished @ 26" with VAIS radial brake w/ seamless finish & tight SAAMI chamber w/ 0.002" headspacing.

HS Precision Sendero stock (no palmswells) fully bedded, and barrel floated, of course...

stainless BDL setup (I don't like detachable mags for hunting rifles)

Vortex rings

Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP w/ XLR reticle

Sounds like an awesome rifle! Whats your experience with Bartleins, and how do you like them? Whats your expected muzzle velocity with this cartridge and the 26" barrel, would probably be right at the heels of a 7mm Mag. Also, do you like the 1/2 MOA adjustments in the HS LR scope?

I forgot to add that I have been loading for my buddies 280 ackley. Very nice round very consistant and easy to load for but in his rifle at least it is running about 150 to 200 fps slower than my 7mm rem mags all with 168 berger vlds and 26 inch tubes. I would recommend trying imr 4350 in one if you get it put together. Also recommend nosler brass. My 2 cents I guess.
150 fps slower than a 7mm RM is about right. The 7mm's step in about that configuration.

7mm-08 is about 150 slower than a .280 AI, which is about 150 slower than 7mm RM, which is about 150 slower than 7mm STW. Crazy how that works out that way, ain't it?

I'll be using 7828 SSC (slow burning magnum powder) for my .25-06 AI, and my .280 AI (when I do build it).

Sounds like an awesome rifle! Whats your experience with Bartleins, and how do you like them? Whats your expected muzzle velocity with this cartridge and the 26" barrel, would probably be right at the heels of a 7mm Mag. Also, do you like the 1/2 MOA adjustments in the HS LR scope?
No experiece with Bartleins yet, but have never read a negative review about them ever. I like that they cut-rifle their barrels, istead of button-rifle. I also like that thtey use 5R rifling instead of 3, 4, 6, or octo (8) groove rifling. Their blanks are priced competitively. And from what I've been told their customer service is excellent.

My expected MV will be nipping very close at the heels of my 7mm RM's.

No experiece with Bartleins yet, but have never read a negative review about them ever. I like that they cut-rifle their barrels, istead of button-rifle. I also like that thtey use 5R rifling instead of 3, 4, 6, or octo (8) groove rifling. Their blanks are priced competitively. And from what I've been told their customer service is excellent.

My expected MV will be nipping very close at the heels of my 7mm RM's.

What improvements do you get with 5R rifling?

What improvements do you get with 5R rifling?
I like 5R rifling because it doesn't create a pinch-point from top to bottom or side to side. Where there is a land, there is a groove on the opposite side facing it. I had to go search for a diagram to show you. LOL

krieger5r02op.png

I like 5R rifling because it doesn't create a pinch-point from top to bottom or side to side. Where there is a land, there is a groove on the opposite side facing it. I had to go search for a diagram to show you. LOL

krieger5r02op.png

That's pretty interesting. Have you seen any improvements with 5R over conventional 6 groove barrels?

That's pretty interesting. Have you seen any improvements with 5R over conventional 6 groove barrels?
Not sure that I can attest this to the rifling, but my factory Rem 700 5R Milspec .308 will shoot ¼ MOA groups with handloads, if I do my part... Which has made me a believer in the 5R rifling, plus, I like how it doesn't pinch the bullet. My 5R is also a breeze to clean....The brush and jag just sweeps effortlessly down the bore. I have noticed that, which they also mention in that picture I posted. Could have just lucked up and got a first-batch barrel, but you never know. Makes me believe in the 5R rifling. And if it's good enough for the Army Marksmanship Units and snipers to use, it's good enough for me.

Not sure that I can attest this to the rifling, but my factory Rem 700 5R Milspec .308 will shoot ¼ MOA groups with handloads, if I do my part... Which has made me a believer in the 5R rifling, plus, I like how it doesn't pinch the bullet. My 5R is also a breeze to clean....The brush and jag just sweeps effortlessly down the bore. I have noticed that, which they also mention in that picture I posted. Could have just lucked up and got a first-batch barrel, but you never know. Makes me believe in the 5R rifling. And if it's good enough for the Army Marksmanship Units and snipers to use, it's good enough for me.

Great to hear your success with your Remington. Very interesting in its ease of cleaning. I doubt you lucked out, Remington has very good factory barrels and in my experience of shooting over 20 different 700s with factory barrels, all were tack drivers. It also says a lot about the 5R rifling if the Army is using it, especially AMU, they are all about accuracy.

Great to hear your success with your Remington. Very interesting in its ease of cleaning. I doubt you lucked out, Remington has very good factory barrels and in my experience of shooting over 20 different 700s with factory barrels, all were tack drivers. It also says a lot about the 5R rifling if the Army is using it, especially AMU, they are all about accuracy.

None of mt Remingtons shoot good........They all shoot GREAT! I've only had 1 Rem that wasn't a shooter, and now that I've trued it up and rebarreled it, it's a shooter, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.