Looking for tikka build/ rebarrel advice

In my experience Peterson holds up much better than adg. I've had 2 different batches of 6.5 creed brass and the first batch the primer pockets were gone at 3-4 firings. This current batch I'm on has 5 firings and some of the primers are just falling in almost. The same load in Peterson brass (same velocity from both cases) now has 13 firings and still tight. I just cant kill it

Good to know!

Mine is throated long with a bore rider throat. The 147eldm has a long bearing surface and my bullet sits easily above the neck shoulder junction.
Shep

Shaen opened a Tikka bolt face for me for a 6.5 PRC. First class work and great communication. He did the same for two buds with the same results.
[/QUOTE]

Any before and after pics of your bolt? Now I'm kicking it around. I really wanted this to be a simple barrel job but you guys know nothing ever goes as planned. Lol, a creed doing 2950, 6.5x284, 6.5 prc, 6.5 saum, 6.5/280 ai, all are great calibers. Decisions decisions

If my 6.5 Creed only shot 2700fps like factory Hornady loads I would go up to the 6.5-284. It's ballistic twins with the prc and you don't need to change the bolt face. But with the few powders that make the Creed really perform there really isn't the need for me to go bigger. My 6.5saum doesn't blow my Creed away. I know the Creed is a really boring cartridge and you might not want boring. It's only boring because it works so easy. To me the 308 is boring because it's just so good it's too easy.
Shep

6.5 creed with the uber whiz powders like 26 need the volumous brass of Hornady and a 26" barrel to get those 140+ gr bullets going 2900+ fps. My 6.5 prc and 6.5x284 go 2980-3050fps with accuracy w/ 156 bergers RL26. You take a 6.5cm w/ good brass(peterson/lapua) run it against a 6.5 prc/saum(adg) using a 22" barrel and you're going to see a 200-250fps gap between the two. I load w/ RL26, N565, H1000, RL23 in my 6.5 short mags, I always seem to get 200+ better than the creed in equal barrel lengths and same powder. Hornady 6.5cm brass run hard w/ rl26 will not last but a couple firings. I have 2x 6.5prc, a 6.5x284, 6.5 saum and 3x 6.5 creeds I load for. Barrels ranging 20-26" so I've played with them all a fair bit. The creed is a decent case, and performs well. The 260rem with creed taper and a 35° shoulder would kill it. I know you don't want to fireform though.

Highdrum

What's your favorite? Hunting purposes only.
6.5 prc is hard to beat for available quality factory ammo. Saami chamber is spec'd well for hand loaders especially in a Tikka long action with longer coal to get near lands.
If you 100% hand load, I say go 6.5 saum and run a 190-200 freebore, Tikka long action for max coal. This setup will get you the highest fps. Factory ammo is available through prime(142 smk) it goes 3070fps in my rifle and kills. It's half moa with my chamber as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.