Looking for rebarrel advice

cornstalker

I have a Rem 700 LVSF in .22-250 that has given me a fair amount of problems. I am thinking about having it rebarreled after I finish hunting coyotes next spring. I still want to use it for predator hunting but wouldn't mind beefing it up a bit.

Can I build a 6-284 on this action without having seating depth issues with crowding powder capacity?

Is there other cartridges in this bracket that you guys would recommend?

Thanks for the help.

If you want to use your magazine, the 6x284 is probably not going to work well.

Do you want to leave the bolt face alone? (22-250 is .472") And use the magazine?

If so, you could build a 6mm-BR, or 7mm-br, but they might be a little underpowered for you needs? Maybe not. The can be extremely accurate and there is excellent brass available.

If you don't mind opening up the boltface but still want to use the magazine, you could go to a 243 WSSM (probably get one fewer in your magazine than with the 22-250).

If you don't mind opening up the boltface and don't mind single shot, there are tons of options.

AJ

6mm rem or 6mm imp. can yield excellent long range performance with a tight twist and heavy for calibre bullets, and with a little prudence will give reasonably good barrel life. no alteration of your bolt-face will be neccesary either. you will also be able to use your original magbox with little alterations.
look into a gain twist if you get a tight twist barrel and you'll get excellent velocity and it will save your throat from errosion.

I think the 6mm Rem is 1/2" longer than the 22-250. Unless he has a lot of room in the mag box, it might be a challenge?? I don't own a Rem700 22-250 to look at, do they use a longer magbox than required?

AJ

Obviously the 6.5-284 is out of the question as the SD of the bullets would crowd the powder capacity. Is the 6mm variant really too long?

If so, is there a WSM or SAUM variant I should consider?

Maybe I should build a .22-250 AI.....

I've heard of several 6-250s doing well. I don't know much about the cartridge and am not even certain that per its name, it's a 22-250 necked up to 6mm. If it is, other than the hassles of dies, it may well be a workable bump up in power.

I have a Wby Vanguard I barreled in 6-284 with a 26" Shaw 1/10 twist. It has proven to be very accurate with 70 SMK's I origionally built it for a yote smoker. The throat is showing signs of erosion and accuracy is falling off and I am under 500 rounds. It was never fired two much hot at the range. But I did clock some 70 gr bullets at a bit over 4000. I am disappointed in this cal and the barrel life. I will soon rebarrel it with a 28" Lilja 8 twist in either 6mm AI or 240 Weatherby and will shoot 105 bergers at a much slower pace.

Thats my 2 cents.:)

Jeff

This is an easy fix , 6x47 Lapua and here is why

1) very close to the same case size as your 22-250

2) will out run the 243 Ackley in the same length barrel,close to the 6x284

3) not overly hard on barrels , 2000+ rounds of competitive barrel life !!

4) Lapua brass in 6.5x47 , so all you have to do is run it in your FL die and
load it.

5) its inherintly accurate at very long range.

Use a barrel with a 1-7.5 twist , you can shoot bullet fromt he 55gr ballistic tips to the 115 Bergers , though you may blow the light weight bullets up trying to run them above 4000 fps. but a 75gr V-max would let you take coyotes out to 700-800yds , but the pelt may be ruined.
here is a link about this round i posted some time back about it being a good varmint round , i had built one on a M-7 remington and sold it to a fella , his E-mail to me about it is under the pics
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f31/long-range-varmint-caliber-6x47-lapua-31534/

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts