Looking for advice on 300 Wea. build

None of mt Remingtons shoot good........They all shoot GREAT! I've only had 1 Rem that wasn't a shooter, and now that I've trued it up and rebarreled it, it's a shooter, too.

+100 have had nothing but stellar results from Remington. I don't know how some guys claim such bad success with Remington and state that if you don't spend an arm and a leg on a Remington its junk?! They must just have bad luck or we have good luck haha. I think its something else though lol.

+100 have had nothing but stellar results from Remington. I don't know how some guys claim such bad success with Remington and state that if you don't spend an arm and a leg on a Remington its junk?! They must just have bad luck or we have good luck haha. I think its something else though lol.

I might get flamed for this, but some of yall have seen my targets, so I feel I have proven myself enough to say this...

I think alot of people have such bad results with Remingtons because most people don't possess the discipline, or practice, or have the natural ability to shoot good groups. I think some folks are naturals and some have to work very hard at it. And some can't no matter what. It's just like everything in life. Some folks are haves, some are have-nots, and some are never-will-be's.

I know that sounds cold, but that's what makes the world go round. Example, I might be a natural gunny, but I can't trouble-shoot a computer to save my life. Therefore, I'm not a computer programmer. I know my limitations. Smacking it on the side to see if it will work, is about as technologically advanced as I care to be. :D

I too like Remingtons but they last several have been hit and miss for me. Seems to me that they really shoot or they really don't. The one I am building a 300 weatherby out of I bought last fall and was a 700 LSS .300 win. my first trip to the range I left after firing one shot, extractor jumped the rim and had to take it home and use a rod to get it out. figured it was the once fired brass in my loads so I bought new brass loaded it up and took it back. Same issue and after inspection you could see that there was a spot on the brass, apparently there was something in the chamber that was mechanically locking the fired brass in. Took it home and polished chamber, there was something in there softer than steel but hard not sure what it could have been but solved the problem. I started load development and used combinations of 5 bullets and 5 powders, fired almost 100 rounds before settling on 168 tsx bullets that grouped around 2.25 inch groups. 200 grain accubonds never went under 4 inches with any powder or charge. I removed the pressure pad in the laminated stock and it didnt really change things much.
My 6.5-284 started out as a bdl 25-06 that would never do better than 3 inches at 100. I had a 22-250 vs that shot ok but head space was to great on the factory barrel and it ruined the brass, rebarreled that to .243 ackley and now is my tactical match rifle.
Now those were the bad ones and boy were they bad but i bet I have had 20 more 700s over the years that were under an inch including the second to last one I bought, a special run vtr with 26" tube and no break that groups closer to .5 moa and my 5r milspec 308 that is a .5 to .75 moa gun consistenly.

I might get flamed for this, but some of yall have seen my targets, so I feel I have proven myself enough to say this...

I think alot of people have such bad results with Remingtons because most people don't possess the discipline, or practice, or have the natural ability to shoot good groups. I think some folks are naturals and some have to work very hard at it. And some can't no matter what. It's just like everything in life. Some folks are haves, some are have-nots, and some are never-will-be's.

I know that sounds cold, but that's what makes the world go round. Example, I might be a natural gunny, but I can't trouble-shoot a computer to save my life. Therefore, I'm not a computer programmer. I know my limitations. Smacking it on the side to see if it will work, is about as technologically advanced as I care to be. :D

Haha that pretty much somes up the shooting world! From my experience the ones that will never shoot good don't want to learn and think they know it all and can't hit the broadside of a barn. I'm the same way with technology, if it doesn't work the right way its junk!

I too like Remingtons but they last several have been hit and miss for me. Seems to me that they really shoot or they really don't. The one I am building a 300 weatherby out of I bought last fall and was a 700 LSS .300 win. my first trip to the range I left after firing one shot, extractor jumped the rim and had to take it home and use a rod to get it out. figured it was the once fired brass in my loads so I bought new brass loaded it up and took it back. Same issue and after inspection you could see that there was a spot on the brass, apparently there was something in the chamber that was mechanically locking the fired brass in. Took it home and polished chamber, there was something in there softer than steel but hard not sure what it could have been but solved the problem. I started load development and used combinations of 5 bullets and 5 powders, fired almost 100 rounds before settling on 168 tsx bullets that grouped around 2.25 inch groups. 200 grain accubonds never went under 4 inches with any powder or charge. I removed the pressure pad in the laminated stock and it didnt really change things much.
My 6.5-284 started out as a bdl 25-06 that would never do better than 3 inches at 100. I had a 22-250 vs that shot ok but head space was to great on the factory barrel and it ruined the brass, rebarreled that to .243 ackley and now is my tactical match rifle.
Now those were the bad ones and boy were they bad but i bet I have had 20 more 700s over the years that were under an inch including the second to last one I bought, a special run vtr with 26" tube and no break that groups closer to .5 moa and my 5r milspec 308 that is a .5 to .75 moa gun consistenly.

Those VTRs are unbelievably accurate! My Dad and I bedded a few for guys we know and work with and all of them shot 1/4inch groups at 100yds. No matter if they were .22-250s or .243s they all shot amazing with handloads. This is no lie, at 100yds you could shoot the staples that held the target to the frame. It was crazy accurate!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.