Tikka M695 Stainless 300 Win Mag Rebarrel Advice

AC300Win

This rifle has been lights out and remains accurate but getting up in round count. Looking for some expertise and recommendations on options. Stock 24" barrels are 1:11" twist with limited mag (~3.480").

Been thinking about options to re-chamber as well

Your questions are a little generic for specific replies.

This rifle has been lights out and remains accurate but getting up in round count.

How many rounds fired are on this barrel?

Has the accuracy started to show a definite decline in accuracy. If yes from what to what?

Is the barrel starting to be harder to clean? (build up of fouling and maybe carbon, fire cracking)

Generally speaking, when a factory rifle barrel approaches the end of its accuracy life, there is very little reason to consider alternatives to outright replacement. If your current accuracy is showing a decline, I suggest simply replacing it.

If you do replace it, you have the option of using a slightly faster twist rate such as a 1:10" twist although the box length limits the use of longer, higher BC bullets.

Options include:

Setting the barrel back to allow for a minor improvement in the throat and freebore. The drawback here can be the lack of tenon length since factory barrels often use the minimum specifications in manufacturing to save money and weight (shorter tenons). Another deterrent is using a good quality reamer for cutting through potential carbon build up. Many gunsmiths don't like running their reamers into a carbon crusted barrel.

The problem you really need to look into is the magazine overall cartridge length. Tikkas are limited intentionally to the shorter length. The current trend towards the longer, heavier, higher BC bullets will generally exceed the maximum box length. I suggest calling Red Snake or Wyatt's to get the end all answer.

Best of Luck!

:)

Thanks Sable. Round count is around 1500 to 1600. Baffles me but this rifle remains <.5 MOA, doesn't foul, easy to clean. I'm sure it has helped to not load overly hot (200 and 210 grain pills at 2850 to 2900 with either H1000 or H4841) and avoiding overheating barrel.

Give the barrel a major clean back to bare metal if possible. JB bore paste will help big time with carbon build up that you can't see without a bore scope. This cleaning may take many hours to free long time deposit. Don't be in a hurry. Will take a handful of rounds to get it seasoned again. Just my experience and process

My advice is not to touch that barrel til it gives up the ghost. I'd probably put a new 1 in 10 on it and call it good. If you want to get into other calibers that's up to you.

This rifle has been lights out and remains accurate but getting up in round count. Looking for some expertise and recommendations on options. Stock 24" barrels are 1:11" twist with limited mag (~3.480").

Been thinking about options to re-chamber as well
Just buy a new barrel and have it chambered in whatever caliber you want.It you like a 300Win Mag go back with it.Dont waste your money rebarrel an old factory barrel.Get you a Bartlein or Shilen or something like that.Good Luck.

Thanks Sable. Round count is around 1500 to 1600. Baffles me but this rifle remains <.5 MOA, doesn't foul, easy to clean. I'm sure it has helped to not load overly hot (200 and 210 grain pills at 2850 to 2900 with either H1000 or H4841) and avoiding overheating barrel.

This sounds like one of those barrels which needs to be used until it absolutely fails to hold your .5 MOA. If you're satisfied with the performance and ease of care, keep shooting and enjoy! But...

I would certainly start my thinking process towards what I really want to replace this barrel with whether it's a different cartridge or the same one but a new barrel. Give careful consideration to ordering the proper twist rate, length and contour.

You can get some quality barrels from second line suppliers who keep a running stock of commonly requested barrels. But if you can't locate the one you want to use as a replacement, I'd start the ordering process real soon due to the lengthy manufacturing times now being quoted. This will insure that you might not have to wait overly long for the replacement.

Enjoy!

:)

Sounds like you took very good care of her 👍, pick your new caliber if you have one in mind Or keep it 300 W-mag,start reading about Custom barrels and Manufacturing of them barrels,next call and talk to Gunsmiths to see who will work on your Tikka/695 action there's much talk of pre fit barrels for the tikka T3 ask or call good luck Cheers!!!.

I think you have an excellent rifle that you shoot very well, and are very pleased with its performance. So when my 270 Weatherby Mag lets me know it is really ready , I will have Weatherby re barrel it with a new and even better 26 inch 270 Weatherby Mag barrel. For me, it's perfect at what is does. I don't need it to become something else. I have a 300 Weatherby Mag, for use on larger game.