Looking for a good bullet for 6.5x284

another vote for the berger 140 grain VLD (Hunting). I have had nothing but bang-flops and statue falls on the animals that I have shot with them. Total tracking distance under 10 feet for the last 3 whitetails, and a Black buck, combined. I don't have any experience with them on Elk. I push mine with RL26 to 3025.

A part 2 question. I have seen RL-26 and H1K mentioned. I have had good results with my 300 WM and H1K are there any other powders I should also have on the short list like H4831SC ect.

Again thanks all. I like the Bergers I may play around with some others but will start some load development with the 140 HVLD's

I can't believe more people wouldn't run hammer especially at that distance.
I understand the Berger's for long stuff because they really work. But we all know they have a failure rate that tend to drive people away. Now all Bullets can fail at some point but for that distance I ya e completely bailed on Berger and the eld. The way the hammers have performed has been very good for me. I was running the cutting edge before that as a transition from lead in my normal hunting ranges. But the hammer are a bit better.
Very easy to load and have been great on game so worth a look at that range for sure

I have looked at the hammers a bit. I have read good things about them. I have yet to take the plunge into solids.

I did years back with Barnes and wasn't impressed so back to lead. Then I stumbled on the cutting edge raptors. Those have really been amazing. But after all the great praise for hammers I thought I'll try them. Didn't expect them to impress me more than the cutting edge. They really are great mono Bullets.

The 131 hammer hunter will stabilize in a 7.5 twist.
The 124 hammer hunters in a 8 twist
The 130 sledge Hammer in a 8.75 twist
My top three picks
The hammer line is really outstanding

I can't believe more people wouldn't run hammer especially at that distance.
I understand the Berger's for long stuff because they really work. But we all know they have a failure rate that tend to drive people away. Now all Bullets can fail at some point but for that distance I ya e completely bailed on Berger and the eld. The way the hammers have performed has been very good for me. I was running the cutting edge before that as a transition from lead in my normal hunting ranges. But the hammer are a bit better.
Very easy to load and have been great on game so worth a look at that range for sure

The 131 hammer hunter will stabilize in a 7.5 twist.
The 124 hammer hunters in a 8 twist
The 130 sledge Hammer in a 8.75 twist
My top three picks
The hammer line is really outstanding

Good to hear about the hammers. Ive run barnes and experienced failure, and have interest in the hammers, but never heard anything from a reliable source. If yall are impressed I'll give them a go, as i value our members knowledge and opinion way more than a review from a distributor or mananfacturer.

Back to OP, I tried the speer gold dot yday and its got the accuracy, but no game experience yet. With 48 gr of h4831 I got a half inch group at 135 yards. Went to 51 grains where it shot a hair above 3/4". I calculated velocity at 51gr was around 2800 using thier bc of .571. This evening after church im gonna load 52-54 gr in half grain increments and find that high node. If this bullet perfroms well on game it may be worth taking a look at. Great price too!

Are the Speer Gold Dot rifle bullets bonded like their gold dot pistol bullets? I'm a big fan of the Gold Dot hollow points in pistols but have never even looked into them for rifle hunting...

Are the Speer Gold Dot rifle bullets bonded like their gold dot pistol bullets? I'm a big fan of the Gold Dot hollow points in pistols but have never even looked into them for rifle hunting...
Yessir theyre of bonded construction. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll try to find a big east texas pig to try them out on. Im really interested to see how they hold up

The gold dot .223 work well on pigs. I was only about 10 yards out but it did the job. I don't have a large enough sample size to say they are the ticket but they worked the one time I tried them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.