Long shot with a muzzleloader

gmstack

Last month i sat in a blind in central iowa and watched my cousin butch depugh take a doe with a muzzleloader using a hart muzzleloader built on a rem 700 action. Shooting a parker 300gr match/hunter bullet at 337yds verified on both his leupold range finder and my nikon also. She dropped like a rock. Stacky

I shot my NM ibex at 380 with the same basic build, felt good to much farther. Mine is a gruff brux barrel, just stupid accurate. Seems anything you pour down it for charge and all bullets shot great.

Shooting long range muzzleloaders is not new. Here are some 1000 yd targets shot at the International match in 1874. with peep sights, blackpowder and cast bullets. If you want to learn more get the book The Muzzle-Loading cap lock rifle by Ned H. Roberts

In calm wind I felt comfortable with my black powder sub ML to 500 yards pushing the 325 FTX hard. Never shot it on game past 300 yards but it was still hitting plenty hard there.

The 200SW for me was a 400 yd load, killed a couple of deer right about that range.

Out of a smokeless ML the 200SW became a 500yd round. The only tradeoff was that under 150 yards one had to be picky on shots because the bullet would grenade on bone.

Never tried the Parkers. One has to be a recoil junkie to handle those heavies in a smokeless ML.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts