Long Range Muzzleloader

Ian
I was wondering what the BC is on the bullet you were testing and are they available?
Crow Mag

Crowmag,
No idea what b.c. might be but the bullets are certainly available, both as Shockwaves from T/C and SST's from Hornady (same bullet, different packaging). Last week I was in a camp were several deer where shot with this bullet and it worked well, I saw one recovered bullet that was a perfect mushroom. Just got a note that the Shockwave is available in 200, 250 and 300 grains in .50 cal., nice sharp plastic point.

DC,

That southern boy that shot that Gen.....was me and dangit it was 1500 yds. Please keep our stories straight!!!!!
grin.gif

Remember he was scolding his troops for flinching at a snipers bullets and said he couldn't hit an elephant from that distance.
Then I shot that blue belly in the face.

Dang brother we need to work on our lies again
grin.gif

Vern

Be carefull when starting the SST/Shockwave. If the bullet slips off the starter it will leave a nice hole in your hand. Trust me! If you get them down on the powder they shoot very well.

Ian
What is the bullet diameter and what would be the best bullet the 200g 250g or 300g for long range
Crow Mag

Ian
I just got some of the SST in 300g and TC Shockwave in 250g nice looking bullet I will be testing them on Sunday with 777 powder. I not using the pellets what is a good starting load in grains I will be using a scale to weigh the powder what is a good starting load gun is Peifer custom will shoot with 150g equivalent 777 powder. I hope to test these bullets out to 500 yards
grin.gif

Crow Mag

Crow,
I understand that the 250 is the optimum bullet weight for that caliber, particularly for deer hunting. Tell you the truth it is the only bullet I have used to date, have to get at the 200 and 300's soon.

Also strongly suggest that you do not weigh the powder, just use a volumetric measure and start at 120 grains. No sweat to go to 150 grains, some rifles shoot best there but only one way to find that out. I know of some incidents where guys got serious over-charges trying to weigh powder, no-one got hurt but a gun got shook loose (scope mounts) and the guy's shoulder looked like he had been hit by a truck. Dumb **** fired several shots, I believe the load was double what he should have been using.

Would also suggest using the 777 pellets, they are extremely uniform, you get the same charge every time you load. That is the real benefit of pellets, they are uniformly compressed so you get the same dollop of powder each charge. I find that 3 777 pellets usually shoots well in the guns we use (T/C and Knight mostly).

Hey, you got a Peifer... That is one fine in-line, was one of my favorites. Too bad it went titters.

Good luck, let us know when you knock over that buck at 500+!

Thanks Iam
I just found my volume measure and weighed 120g by volume and it is around 100g by my Ohaus Navigator if I tap on the volume measure to compress the powder. My mentor hunting partner got one of the Peifers when they came out SS#36. I had to have one my SS#326 one of the finest in-lines out there. Cant weight to shoot the new bullets I may not be able to what tell Sunday. I am using a 1.5x6 Swarovski for optic on this gun like the clarity of this scope.
Crow Mag

I emailed Phil Hodgdon and this is what he emailed back.
Reduce it by 15% for actual weight. So if the load calls for 100 grains by volume, weigh out 85.
Crow Mag

We shot the .50 cal SST 300g bullets and Shockwave 250g and 200g Muzzleloader bullets today. Nice shooting bullet the 200g bullet is a .40 cal bullet .870" long. We shot at 100 Yards 200 yards and 420 yards using 777 powder from 120g to 150g the bullet tumbled with the 150g load so I used 140g loads for testing. We had good results out to 200. In my rifle it would not be worth shooting at 400 yards with the 200g. The 250g bullets .453 cal .952" long. We had the same results as the 200g bullet. The 300g bullet .453 cal 1.90" long. I used 120g of 777 for a load good results at 100 yards and 200 yards. We shot some at 400 yards but had quite a bet more drop than the 200g bullet. If the wind lets up tomorrow we will try the 250g and 300g SST at 300 yards 350 yards and 420 yards to see what the farthest we can shoot these bullets and make a drop chart. Loads were safe in my rifle and should be approached with caution and were by volume.
Crow Mag

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: crow mag ]

We shot the 300g SST bullets today at 100 200 300 400 and 500 yards. We used 777 powder 125g by volume. I sited in at 100 yards 3" high then shot at 200 yards 6" low. Then at 300 yards I put 12 MOA of elevation in the 1.5x6 Swarovski scope the impacts were 3" right of the X. Then at 400 Yards I put 24 MOA from a 100 Yard 0 impacts were 12" right. I did not adjust for the wind 5 MPH form 9:00 500 yards my drop chart called for 38 MOA but impacts were not consistent at this range the bullet went sub sonic. We were getting 1800 FPS with the 300g SST and will be hunting with this bullet.
Crow Mag

I'm new to muzzle loading and was wondering some of the differences between 45 cal and 50 cal. Is 50 cal the only real cal of choice for ML, or is 45 cal just a new thing. I'm interested in taking whitetails and wouldn't need much for them. The TC web site says they're getting 2600 fps with a 155gr bullet in a TC Encore in 45 cal. Not too bad, but would this be less accurate then the TC enclore in 50cal which they say gets about 2200 fps. Additionally, it looks like you can get more different types of bullets and other accessories for the 50 cal then for the 45 cal.

Its kind of like buying a .30 cal rifle. lots of bullets to choose from in .50 cal. Also in some places you can't shoot smaller than .45 cal. bullet so a .40 bullet in a .45 sabot won't be legal. If you want to shoot a sabot bullet you have to go with the .50. Don't think they make powder pellets in .45 cal so if you want to use them its got to be .50.

I found this board while searching for ML info actually...been into long range ML for a few years now.
Look up www.prbullet.com. Best long range
bullets on the market for your frontstuffer,
hands down. I have extensively tested their .40 QT bullets and .357 Duplex Dead Center bullets in my Traditions Lightning LD (1:28 twist, 26" barrel). With the 195 grain .357, I am sighted in 3.5" high at 100 yds, dead on 200 yds, 15-16" low at 300 yds.
Notes on long range ML. Get a 26" barrel or longer, you'll need it to burn high powder charges. T/C and Winchester just added 28-30" guns to their lineup. Twist should be 1:28"-1:30", faster is NOT better. Volume your charges, don't weigh them. If I could afford a new gun it would probably be the long-barrel T/C Omega, nice simple drop action.
I harvested 2 deer so far with the 195 gr bullet. One was about 160 yards frontal, bullet penetrated well and exited in front of rear ham after apparently full expansion. Other shot was frontal at 70 yards, bullet recovered near stomach completely flattened; deer flipped front end over back from force, hit the ground dead, simply amazing. The secret of these bullets is they are swaged lead, so they will fully expand at very low velocities.
One limitation of ML is that while guns are rated to 150 grains few will shoot any bullets accurately at that charge. A usual culprit is sabot failure. I'm experimenting with double-saboting (sabot base w/petals removed, then 2 fiber wads, then sabot with bullet) to try and alleviate this problem. Haven't shot any yet though, used with good results in Savage smokeless ML.
So far I've only shot out to 300 yds, did a 4-shot 5-inch group sitting off a Harris bipod. I plan to get a chrono and try to get accurate groups with a heavier (240 gr) bullet at similar velocities to what I currently get with my 100 gr charge. Then go out to 500 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.