long range terminal performance - 338 projectiles

firefighter1990

I'm finally done with my 338-378 improved build and want the best long range hunting pill i can find. So with terminal performance in mind, monolithic projectiles such as lehigh's and bore tech's CNC brass VLD's are off my list, although their characteristic are stunning!. rocky mountain bullets need a co-signer to afford them! So with my 1-10 twist, im up against either Lapua's 300gr scenar, Sierra's 300gr smk, Berger's 300gr hybrid, or Hornady's 285gr match hp. my maximum (comfortable) kill distance will be in and around 1 mile and i know with any projectile i choose- my kinetic energy is gonna be huge! All choices have great bc's that are in and around .720 so any pill will make it to a mile without a problem. ive only fired a few hand loads and found i can push a 300 grainer to 3100-3050 fps safely, idk what hdy's 285 can do tho. the smk is time tested both at the matches as well as in the field, but id like to hear what other 338 hunters use to harvest animals WAY out there. So whether youre shooting the old 338 win mag or a 338-408 wildcat or something in between, let me know what you like as far as terminal performance. Thanks!

I do not have any terminal performance for you past 1000 yds with them. But the 300 OTM hybrids from my 338LM @ 2800 fps MV. really shoot good for me. I have sent many out there to 1 mile and beyond and I am very pleased. The BC's and accuracy of the OTM proved to be better at distance than the 500 SMK's I have shot through the same rifle. All kills that include a few antelope , mule deer and several elk to 1000 were 1 shot DRT's and all expanded well and left 1 1/2 to 2" exits. No bullet has been recovered yet as all have passed through.

Here is a thread that you may enjoy reading too.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/1480-yd-bull-throgh-spotters-eyes-85361/

please keep us posted on your results.

Good Luck

Jeff

I have shot the 300 SMK quite a bit. It is a good accurate bullet. I have taken it out as far as 1700 yards. As far as Killing, I have had mixed results. usually unrder 500 yards its blows baseball sized holes through everything, although sometimes it doesnt I guess it depends on your specific lott of bullets. I shot an antelope at 1010 yards and it wizzed right on through and he acted like he wasnt hit, he died shortly after but i had to search for my bullet hole. Last year I shot a Cow elk at a little over 800 yards through the shoulders and it looked like i ran a 1" pipe through her. So results may wary as far as perfomance on game but accurate they are!

The Bergers expand more reliably. The BC is better. And, they don't need to be sorted for baring surface like the SMK.

For 1 mile shooting your choices are limited to the highest bc. The new 300 berger is listing a .818 bc. That is the highest of any bullet I know of that has been tested by guys on here. At that range you will have a problem getting bullets to perform reliably and open up. It would depend mostly on where you hit the animal. Using high bc target bullets for long range hunting is going to give unpredictable results as tikkamike stated. There is no majic pill here. That is the reason I always recomend a minimum of 338 caliber for extreme long range hunting such as the mile you mentioned. With a 338 hole or larger through an animal he is likely not to go as far.

Thanks guys! i have heard that the smk are hit or mis as far as opening up on game. i hv a single shot action so i think id like to use berger's 2nd gen hybrid with that .818 g1 bc. ive used bergers in 6.5, 6mm, and 22 with awesome results. And from what i've read, it sounds like the 2nd gen is living up to bergers reputation, good to know that berger finally got the bugs worked out of the 338's

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.