long range Pronghorn, Whitetail & Muley cartridge choice

I also vote 25-06. I absolutely loved mine. I now shoot a 25-06 ackley. I have killed deer from 15 to 432 yds with 100 grain pills and most were DRT. I havnt had experience with the Tikka but I have heard nothing but good things about it. Also for varmints the 75 gr vmax is absolutely amazing.

Thanks to all........I am leaning to the 25-06 in a Tikka or Savage. I really like the Sendero, but it is much heavier than the Tikka or Savage, and I don't know that the Sendero is that much more accurate!? Am I off the mark regarding that statement?

Long range hunters are proving to be a force to recon with. They provide great accuracy in most cases. Some guys have had some problems primarily with the 300 Win Mag. However I haven't heard anything about any other calibers. Savages are great rifles. I love my Savage dearly. Shoots great! Even when it had a stock barrel I was able to pull .5MOA groups most of the time with an occasional .25MOA group. .6 MOA groups were probably its average. Now that I have a custom barrel on it I regularly stay at .25MOA or less. I would highly suggest a Savage of some model. My one buddy has a 110FP when they made a long action in the low dollar FP model. Thing is crazy accurate.

Tank

My first 25-06 was a savage 112 bvss which they no longer make. I could easily get .5 moa 5 shot groups with several different bullet weights and makes. I have owned three savage rifles and shot several more and have never seen one that wouldnt shoot at least .75 moa. If you can get past the looks and feel i dont think you will find many factory guns that will outshoot them. Another good thing with savage is the ever expanding availability of aftermarket parts.

My first 25-06 was a savage 112 bvss which they no longer make. I could easily get .5 moa 5 shot groups with several different bullet weights and makes. I have owned three savage rifles and shot several more and have never seen one that wouldnt shoot at least .75 moa. If you can get past the looks and feel i dont think you will find many factory guns that will outshoot them. Another good thing with savage is the ever expanding availability of aftermarket parts.

That is my problem with most of the Savage rifles. Good shooters just have a hard time getting over the fit and finish...and the tupperware stocks. (for that matter Tikkas also) Not a big deal if it were just going to be a donor. The stainless laminate T3 is my favorite stock hunting rifle in the sub $800 range for fit and feel.

Jon

6mm Remington is a hard one to pass over. I also really like the 25-06 as several have stated in addition to my vote for checking it out. If you are having it built or a rebarrel job, a 6.5-06 might be something to consider if you handload!

I personally would stay away from brakes. With one of the light kicking calibers you are looking towards, a brake is not necessary and the noise is horrible! I would just make sure that the rifle fits your wife and has a nice recoil pad. When she practices, especially at first, have her put soft plugs under the ear muffs so she has double protection. In a lot of shooters, the percieved recoil is somewhat enhightened by the noise when the rifle goes off. Heck I do this myself. It doesn't hurt to double your protection. We are only given one set of ears!

6mm Remington
25-06
6.5-06

6mm Remington is a hard one to pass over. I also really like the 25-06 as several have stated in addition to my vote for checking it out. If you are having it built or a rebarrel job, a 6.5-06 might be something to consider if you handload!

I personally would stay away from brakes. With one of the light kicking calibers you are looking towards, a brake is not necessary and the noise is horrible! I would just make sure that the rifle fits your wife and has a nice recoil pad. When she practices, especially at first, have her put soft plugs under the ear muffs so she has double protection. In a lot of shooters, the percieved recoil is somewhat enhightened by the noise when the rifle goes off. Heck I do this myself. It doesn't hurt to double your protection. We are only given one set of ears!

6mm Remington
25-06
6.5-06
Noise is not an issue at all with the right muzzle brake. You can reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip by half without any percieved increase in noise (to the shooter) with a number of brakes that are on the market today.

Which ones?
The TTI eliminator is one I really like. I wanted to put one on my AR 260 but the wait was too long so I went with the Shrewd Varmint Brake . PRI makes a very good one as well.

I'm not at all recoil sensitive but I wanted a varmint brake on the .260 because I shoot prone in the dirt quite a bit and wanted the side discharge and I was really surprised with the Shrewd's recoil reduction and the fact it didn't increase the noise at all.

As for muzzle flip I have no problem seeing my impacts even at 100-200yds.

For the price the shrewd and PRI are both really tough to beat.

They won't give you as much relief from heavy recoil as the JP, PK or some of the other's but they make shooting very tolerable.

I also do a hell of a lot of on the fly varmint predator shooting where I just don't have time to look for ear protection and even without it the Shrewd is completely tolerable.

I own a Vanguard 2 in 25-06 and a Savage 12 LRP in .260 Remington. Both are accurate and effective hunting weapons. The .260 will reach out further and maintain good stopping power but at reasonable hunting distances the 25-06 is a great round. I'd give the accuracy edge to the .260. Recoil from the .260 is lighter than my 25-06. The 25-06 will definitely drop them if you do your part though and I enjoy hunting with it. I like the Barnes 100 grain TSX ammo in my 25-06. JMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.