Cartridge Choice for Long Action Rebarrel

I'm considering the same for my .270. I'm torn between a 6mm REM AI, which is my favorite fun gun ever, or going bigger like a 338-06 or 35 Whelen.
I have a Holland built 1/7" twist 6mm Ackley Improved AND a VZ-24 built 35 Whelen......I like both, but the WHELEN is a killa. My dad dropped two elk in Colorado with it, only two rounds fired, DRT.......and one was at 275 yards.

If he really wants to walk the wild side, I just had Dave over at Pacific Tool make me a reamer for a 280 MKS, It's a 375 Ruger case shortened to 2,25 inch and necked down to ,284, It has 79 grs, of water capacity. About the same as a 7MM rem mag only in a standard action. You can use the longest bullets without displacing any powder. In the attached photo the cartridges are a 375 Ruger, a 338 MKS with 300 gr, a 280 MKS with 175 gr. a280 Rem with 175 gr, a 7MM Mauser.

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 123
My .270 is due a rebarrel probably at the end of this coming season. It's a standard long action 700 remmy.

As I'm now using a different rifle for guiding work the .270 is going to just be a "fun" long range rifle for me that I'll hand load for, so wild cats are on the table and I fancy something a bit "out there" if sensible enough.

Considering a .280 AI as the front runner at the moment. I fancy shooting 160g and similar bullets and will be using it for red deer and hopefully on a spring black bear hunt in a year or two when I get over to your side of the pond.

Thanks,

Sam

For me the situation of "deer" hunting and "bear" hunting is a two-gun proposition. I have a .270 AI for deer hunting and a 35 Whelen or a 45-70 for bear hunting. I am not saying that the .280AI will not take a bear, I am saying that there are better choices in cartridges then the .280 AI for bear hunting. Most guides will tell you that they prefer a large, through-and-through hole on a bear just in case there's a situation where tracking is involved. The reason being that there is a great potential for the bleeding to stop due to the long hair over the wounds causing them to clot and stop bleeding; bear hair is sort of like a paint brush. I was going to build a .280 AI, but instead built the .270 AI because I refused to pay Nosler their extortionist prices for brass. All said I really do like the .280 AI, but......for both types of hunting, deer/bear, I would go with the 30-06 Springfield due to the diversity available for bullets and also availability for off the shelve purchases for ammunition. Good luck with our decision.

Having that one round to do all is like being a mechanic with only an adjustable wrench. The right tool makes the job easy.
When I was young (sixty years ago) we would always ask... "If you could only have one rifle." Back then it was the 375 H&H. because of changes in African laws I would now pick the 416 Ruger. Just for North America, I love my 338 MKS. (Ammoguide)

My .270 is due a rebarrel probably at the end of this coming season. It's a standard long action 700 remmy.

As I'm now using a different rifle for guiding work the .270 is going to just be a "fun" long range rifle for me that I'll hand load for, so wild cats are on the table and I fancy something a bit "out there" if sensible enough.

Considering a .280 AI as the front runner at the moment. I fancy shooting 160g and similar bullets and will be using it for red deer and hopefully on a spring black bear hunt in a year or two when I get over to your side of the pond.

Thanks,

Sam
All the standard cartridges ie. based off the 30-06 case will kill anything easily inside 500 yards. If you are getting into longer range hunting then a standard cartridge with commonly high BC bullets would be a good choice, like a 6.5mm or a 7mm. Since you're not in the US I'd pick one you can get cases, bullets, and common powders for. If you stay with the standard cartridges you don't need a bolt change or modification. The 6.5s will give you very mild recoil, so there's a plus. The 6.5-06 is a cool long range cartridge. It can be hard on throats if you really heat it up a lot and it's non-standard, but it will give you crazy long range performance in a standard bolt face. The 156 EOL would be great to try in it. The 6.5 Creed and 260 Rem are two great standard cartridges that have a lot going for them. Lots of factory ammo very good accuracy potential, plenty of power on game to 500-600 yards, low recoil, lots of bullet choices. The 280 AI will give you some great longer range performance with the 160-168gr bullets and it's a standard cartridge with factory ammo available. Frankly I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, I guess it depends a lot on what you can buy where you live.

280 Sherman with a Bartlein ss barrel with a gain twist of 1:8.4" to 1:8.0" You will have a wide selection of bullets and powder :)

Thanks for all your help, Interesting to hear what you guys think and especially about the bear angle. Sadly the bear hunt with be a one off (for now at least) so buying a rifle in the perfect calibre makes less sense than 'making do' for the tie being.

The craic about Sherman magnums is certainly interesting. I love the 6.5-284 and would have another happily but it looks like the .280AI is going to be the puppy - the lack of fire forming coupled with the solid performance with 160-170g bullets seals the deal for me.

Now just to get it built!

Sam

Good point, although the OP did mention wildcats are an option, maybe a short magnum maybe not. Like I mentioned a 7 SAUM or a 270 WSM are great options

If he wants to stick with the current bolt face then a 280 or 270 in the AI version sounds good, cant go wrong with either one.
Since cats are on the table, look at the 7/300. It will really surprise you with both accuracy and range, and it's real easy to form the cases. Nathan Foster in New Zealand is the guru on it and has published books on several shooting subjects.