Cartridge Choice for Long Action Rebarrel

This is why I never ask what rifle to buy or build ...

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I'm considering the same for my .270. I'm torn between a 6mm REM AI, which is my favorite fun gun ever, or going bigger like a 338-06 or 35 Whelen.

It would be simple to change to the 6.5 Sherman long. I have one on its second barrel and it is amazing. I can run a Berger 140 vld to 3300 fps. I have checked it with 2 chronographs. Use N 570 and drop the charge down to about 3250 fps. and its the Bees knees. I also have a 6.5 Sherman Max that will run the 156 Berger to almost 3200 fps. with N 570. Drop the charge down to about 3150 fps and it will put 3 shots touching at 175 yards just about every time.

6.5 wby rpm doesnt need a bolt change. , 6mm-06 if u want speed, 280Ai is a champ too. 220swift is another option.

So I do not misconstrue your post, are you recommending 220 Swift for red deer and black bear?

the .270 is going to just be a "fun" long range rifle for me that I'll hand load for, so wild cats are on the table and I fancy something a bit "out there" if sensible enough.

Considering a .280 AI as the front runner at the moment. I fancy shooting 160g and similar bullets and will be using it for red deer and hopefully on a spring black bear hunt in a year or two when I get over to your side of the pond.

Lots of good choices offered and I'd lean heavily on a 280 improved in either Sherman or AI.

Having said that, in the last year or two I've become a fan of the heavy 30s. They do work on game and don't need incredible velocity to do it.

Were it me, for the reason above id look at the 300 or 338 Sherman running a 215 or 250 berger respectively. In a 26 inch barrel you'd be in the 27-2800 fps range....estimated. That's more then enough to do work on any non-dangerous game.

I'm planning a short barreled light build next year and it will be the above or a short mag variant.

Better yet, get a WTO switch lug installed and get a 65 sherman and a 338. Fully covered at that point.🤔