Rebarrel long action to 6.5 PRC

LouisianaHunter

I have a Sako AIII in 300 win mag circa late 70s early 80s . Several years ago I tired of it ringing my bell . I took the scope off and put it in the vault. Lately I've been thinking of having it rebarrelled with something smaller that would work with the magnum bolt face .
Originally I was thinking 7 Rem mag or 264 Win mag. Then I became aware that 6.5 PRC had the same base.
Will that shorter cartridge feed in that action, or will the magazine need to be altered in some way?
Thanks for knowledge shared.

What kind of magazine did you go with on you kimber? How does it feed?
I had a Kimber Montana 325 WSM rebarreled to 6.5 PRC. It's a great shooter, but I wish I would have used a long action.

More options in loading heavier bullets.

The 6.5 PRC works through the action just fine.

What kind of magazine did you go with on you kimber? How does it feed?
I used the existing blind magazine of the Kimber. Same spring and follower. The gunsmith I used did some work with the spring. I think he moved the force of the spring toward the back of the magazine. It feeds just fine. I don't notice any difference from when it was chambered in 325 WSM.

I have a tikka that Started like as a 300 wm. Use the .188 freebore reamer and 140/156 class bullets feed perfect.

Thanks that is helpful. I have a 6.5 prc on a 70 classic that was a 325 wsm and have a problem with the cartridge coming out from under the feed rail on the right side of the magazine. I will play with the spring and see if it helps. I also have one that was a 270 wsm same issue.

I have a Sako AIII in 300 win mag circa late 70s early 80s . Several years ago I tired of it ringing my bell . I took the scope off and put it in the vault. Lately I've been thinking of having it rebarrelled with something smaller that would work with the magnum bolt face .
Originally I was thinking 7 Rem mag or 264 Win mag. Then I became aware that 6.5 PRC had the same base.
Will that shorter cartridge feed in that action, or will the magazine need to be altered in some way?
I have a friend with a 6.5 PRC . He loaned me a couple of rounds to try . They fed great till those fat SOBs hit the chamber and that was as far as they would go .
I saw enough to make me think it won't be a problem. Now I need a barrel and a good GS .

Fwiw; You may need to install a 300 RUM follower. It will likely have to be shortened a bit. It does in a Model 70. However so far, my M70 300 Win Mag follower feeds 300 WSM cartridges in my LA custom build. That said, I will use the RUM follower to ensure reliability.