What 6.5 on long action

standard bolt face - 6.5 Sherman
magnum bolt face - .264 WinMag

Almost exact what entered my mind when I seen the OP thread title...my only addition is the...

6.5-06 on the standard bolt face

That or the 6.5 Sherman, both are pure wildcats as there is no factory ammo out there.

I have both 6.5-06 and 264wm...really like both of them a lot. But also have the 6.5-284 and that is a bad boy too! It is served better out of a LA.

Almost exact what entered my mind when I seen the OP thread title...my only addition is the...

6.5-06 on the standard bolt face

That or the 6.5 Sherman, both are pure wildcats as there is no factory ammo out there.

I have both 6.5-06 and 264wm...really like both of them a lot. But also have the 6.5-284 and that is a bad boy too! It is served better out of a LA.
Yeah, the old .264 WinMag is quite often overlooked these days. IMO, with the 160 Matrix and 155 Bergers and commonplace 1:8 twist barrels (even in factory rifles), it is more relevant than it ever has been. The .264 WinMag is about the biggest case you can go on the 6.5mm bore, before you start getting diminishing returns.

You have most of the staples so why not a wild cat of some sort. I like my 6.5 SAUM way more than my 7 RM. I am curious to try the 7mm SAUM as well.

Sorry guys been traveling for a few days! Sounds like I'm in the same boat as some have been before it was originally a 7 mag so I've got a magnum bolt obviously! That's kinda why I was leaning to the saum, that and the fact that it has respectable barrel life from what I've read? That and I have a boat load of h-1000 but if I'm missing something with the Sherman or something simailar I'd surely replace the bolt if it's a better option? Thanks for the replies so far

I have a couple of 6.5-06's and I like them. If I was going to rebarrel my aging 270, I'd likely go with a 25" krieger bbl in 6.5-06 AI.

Goose, seems like a no brainer if you have a mag bolt face.

264wm...built one just in time for deer season sweet shooter without a doubt!

I also just started running H1000 in mine. I'd say it is the softest shooting magnum I've ever shot. **** sight easier on the shoulder than a 270win!

I'm running 130gr bullets at a modest 3130fps with a 1/9 twist. Shoots .8 at 200yds...

I bought a used 6.5-06 back in the '70s. Just the sweetest shooting rifle. I took 3 antelope (back in the day when you could draw extra tags) out of one herd at 325 yds one time. Never saw any of them fall. I only stopped shooting because the herd looked smaller! Made the mistake of letting my wife use it. She got a lot of antelope and an elk (at over 400 yds) with it. I never saw it again except to clean it.

Goose if you had the standard bolt face all the guys pointing you toward a 6.5-06 are spot on. I have a freshly built one of those too. And like above its the wife's rifle. Her first deer season she fired three shots with it....spike buck, doe and a hog.

Her first shot ever to start her first ever deer season was with the above 264wm...super nice 8pt! Everything was one shot kills, the only one that when any where was the hog...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts